Hyderabad police arrest cleric’s son on sedition chargeJuly 16th, 2008 - 10:19 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, July 16 (IANS) A 26-year-old man, whose father is an accused in the murder of former Gujarat home minister Haren Pandya, was arrested here Wednesday on charges of sedition and rioting, the police said. Muqeemuddin alias Yaser was arrested by the Special Investigation Team (SIT) of Hyderabad City Police on charges of conspiracy to wage war against the government of India and four-year-old cases of rioting.
The arrest of Muqeemuddin, a resident of Saidabad neighbourhood, was announced through a statement by the police Wednesday but his family alleged that he was picked up Tuesday night.
Muqeemuddin is son of Moulana Mohammed Naseeruddin, the founder president of a religious group Tehreek Tahaffuz-e-Shaair-e-Islam (TTSI), who is at present lodged in Sabarmati jail, Gujarat, for his role in the murder of Haren Pandya.
He is also the elder brother of Raziuddin Naser, a key suspect in the Hyderabad twin blasts of Aug 25 last year, which claimed 44 lives. Naser was recently arrested for conspiring to cause blasts in Karnataka and Goa and is now lodged in Belgaum Jail, Karnataka.
A case of sedition was registered against Muqeemuddin at Gopalpuram police station here last year. The police claimed that he was involved in a case of rioting and attempt to kill police personnel in front of the office of director general of police (DGP) here in 2004.
A follower of Moulana Nasseruddin was killed when Gujarat police opened fire to disperse a group that was trying to resist the cleric’s arrest in front of the DGP’s office.
The police said Muqeemuddin was also involved in rioting during the burial procession of the youth killed in the firing.
- Hyderabad student's family says he is innocent - Sep 01, 2012
- Gujarat top cop Sanjiv Bhatt arrested - Sep 30, 2011
- Gujarat to challenge Pandya case accquittals - Sep 13, 2011
- Haren Pandya murder: Gujarat High Court acquits all 12 accused - Aug 29, 2011
- Haren Pandya's sisters to approach PM for justice - Sep 02, 2011
- Convicts question police theory on Gujarat ex-minister's killing - Jul 13, 2011
- Modi and Vaghela on fast track politics in Gujarat - Sep 16, 2011
- Gujarat cop Sanjiv Bhatt out on bail - Oct 17, 2011
- Curfew continues in riot-hit old Hyderabad (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Citizens group condemns arrest of Gujarat DIG - Oct 04, 2011
- Modi's fast: BJP top brass to attend; Modi condemns communalism - Sep 17, 2011
- Haren Pandya's widow seeks Advani's intervention - Aug 31, 2011
- Muslim women held for attacking police station - Mar 06, 2008
- Pakistani scholar's Gujarat remarks spark row - Mar 01, 2012
- Plea to probe Modi's role in murder dismissed - Jul 15, 2009