Hyderabad court quashes police officer’s murder caseNovember 20th, 2008 - 8:20 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Nov 20 (IANS) A city court Thursday quashed the assassination case of senior police officer K.S. Vyas for want of sufficient evidence against the accused.The second additional metropolitan sessions judge of Nampally Criminal Court dropped the murder charges against three accused saying the prosecution failed to furnish evidence against them.
Vyas, the deputy inspector general of police was gunned down by Maoist guerrillas here Jan 25, 1993. A group of 21 guerrillas attacked the Indian Police Service (IPS) officer when he was jogging at Lal Bahadur Stadium.
The court acquitted Tirupati Balaiah, Seshaiah and Narsaiah due to lack of sufficient evidence against them.
There were 21 accused in the case including top Maoists S. Appa Rao and M. Balakrishna. The main accused in the case M. Damodar Reddy was later killed in a gun battle with police. The other accused are still at large.
One of the accused Nayeemuddin escaped from the court premises in a dramatic manner in March last year.
- Court acquits 12 of killing 13 Jharkhand cops - May 21, 2012
- Hyderabad police book PVR Mall owners - Feb 29, 2012
- Stringent MCOCA slapped on eight for journalist's murder - Jul 08, 2011
- Terror charge plea against Ghandy to come up April 9 - Mar 31, 2012
- Jharkhand police failed to present key witness in massacre case - Dec 15, 2011
- Maoists kill trader on charges of spying - Mar 21, 2011
- Jharkhand mulls witness protection law - Apr 26, 2011
- Four get jail for life bid on Chandrababu Naidu - Oct 29, 2010
- Delhi High Court blast: Court to frame charges Oct 1 - Sep 21, 2012
- Maoist Kobad Ghandy to stand trial for cheating (Second Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Music baron Gulshan Kumar murder accused acquitted - Jul 21, 2010
- Rights activist Binayak Sen convicted, arrested (Lead) - Dec 24, 2010
- Suspected Maoist slaps defamation case on government - Jan 04, 2012
- Fresh plea to prosecute Ghandy under terror charges - Mar 30, 2012
- Maoist rebel surrenders in Chhattisgarh - Aug 21, 2012