Husband of ‘protester in underwear’ arrestedMarch 19th, 2008 - 6:56 pm ICT by admin
Rajkot, March 19 (IANS) Pratapsinh Chauhan, husband of Pooja who had walked the streets of this Gujarat city dressed only in her underwear and holding a baseball bat last July to protest harassment from him, has been arrested for troubling a neighbour. The police action Tuesday followed a complaint filed by Vinod Ranchhodbhai Parmar against the couple under the Atrocity Act.
Parmar contended that he belongs to a backward community and since the couple has been abusing him and causing mental harassment they should be booked under the Scheduled Castes and Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act.
Police said that the act does not apply to Pooja as she herself belongs to a backward community but Pratapsinh, who is from an upper caste, was taken into custody.
Five days ago, Pooja met Rajkot Police Commissioner Sudhirkumar Sinha and demanded strict action against her neighbours saying they were harassing and threatening her.
She warned police that she would stage a protest similar to the one of last year, which made headlines, if no action was taken against the neighbours.
Sinha pressed the police force into action and three of Pooja’s neighbours were arrested. However, the accused then filed counter-complaints against the couple saying they were tormenting them for no fault of theirs.
A close watch was being kept over Pooja to prevent her from causing any public nuisance, Sinha told IANS.
He added that she would be taken into custody if she repeated her protest act and a court’s permission would be sought to get her medically examined.
- Bengal women's panel seeks report on newly-wed couple - Sep 06, 2012
- Ghaziabad traders protest police inaction, shut shops - Aug 11, 2012
- Woman who protested clad only in underwear wants police protection - Mar 15, 2008
- Army officer surrenders in dowry case - Nov 15, 2011
- Northeast students complain to PM, hold rally (Lead) - Nov 29, 2010
- Woman branded a witch, beaten up in Rajasthan - Aug 22, 2012
- Railway official accused of sexual harassment by CWG medallist - Feb 17, 2011
- Tribal woman branded a witch, beaten up in Rajasthan - Jul 08, 2012
- Maid torture: Doctor couple's police custody extended - Apr 06, 2012
- Policeman suspended for letting off harassment accused - Apr 16, 2012
- Pinki case: Human rights group demands statement from Mamata - Jul 11, 2012
- Police rescue locked up NRI woman - Oct 16, 2011
- Odisha official arrested in US - Jul 26, 2012
- Woman branded witch, beaten up in Rajasthan - Aug 04, 2012
- CBI probe demanded into Bihar girl's suicide - Sep 06, 2012