Husband held for murder of Jaipal Reddy’s niece (Second Lead)June 22nd, 2011 - 9:42 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, June 22 (IANS) The husband of Petroleum Minister S. Jaipal Reddy’s niece Kiran Reddy was Wednesday arrested on charges of murdering her. A court sent him to judicial custody for two weeks.
Deputy Commissioner of Police Stephen Ravindra told reporters that Chaitanya Reddy was taken into custody for killing his 26-year-old wife. The accused also attempted to wipe out the evidence.
The autopsy and circumstantial evidence established that Chaitanya Reddy killed Kiran on the night of June 17 at their house in Jubliee Hills after they returned from a restaurant.
Kiran and Chaitanya, both doctors, had a heated fight. Kiran took her husband to task for drinking heavily and misbehaving with the restaurant manager.
As Kiran went to sleep in another room, Chaitanya, in a fit of rage, smothered her and returned to his room, police said.
The next morning, realizing she was dead, “he wiped out the evidence and asked the family members to ensure that everything looks as if she died a natural death”, officer Ravindra said.
Chaitanya then called an ambulance and took her to Apollo Hospital.
Police registered a case of death under suspicious circumstances and sent the body for autopsy.
The next day, Kiran’s parents accused Chaitanya of murdering their daughter. The autopsy established that Kiran was smothered to death. She also had a head injury.
Chaitanya broke down when police took him into custody. His family alleged that police forced him to confess to a crime he had not committed.
A magistrate sent him to judicial custody for 14 days. Chaitanya told the court that police arrested him on June 18 and tortured him.
Married five years ago, the couple has a four-year-old daughter. Kiran Reddy was the daughter of Jaipal Reddy’s younger sister Bharati.
- Husband arrested for murder of Jaipal Reddy's niece (Lead) - Jun 22, 2011
- Jaipal Reddy's niece murdered, say cops, arrest husband - Jun 22, 2011
- Police to probe death of Jaipal Reddy's niece - Jun 20, 2011
- Evangelist Paul arrested in brother's murder case - May 21, 2012
- Ex-cop talks of bid to doctor Aarushi's autopsy report - Aug 30, 2012
- Restaurant owner in custody for attempted rape of tourist - Dec 22, 2011
- Woman, employee held for murdering husband - Apr 12, 2011
- Mother attends last rites of killed scribe (Second Lead) - May 09, 2010
- Mother attends last rites of killed scribe (Third Lead) - May 09, 2010
- CBI grills Jagan for fourth day - Jun 06, 2012
- Aarushi-Hemraj murders: Four years of a whodunit - May 14, 2012
- Gangster-politician Suri's murder: Police search for killer - Jan 04, 2011
- Arrested editor fears danger to life - Jan 18, 2011
- Andhra minister quits over Congress defeat - Mar 22, 2012
- Delhi policeman found dead in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 01, 2011
Tags: ambulance, apollo hospital, autopsy, case of death, circumstantial evidence, commissioner of police, deputy commissioner, head injury, jaipal reddy, judicial custody, kiran, magistrate, natural death, next morning, niece, old wife, petroleum, ravindra, room police, suspicious circumstances