Husband arrested over NRI wife’s murder in PunjabMarch 7th, 2009 - 4:44 pm ICT by IANS
Hoshiarpur (Punjab), March 7 (IANS) The Punjab Police Saturday claimed to have solved the murder of an NRI woman with the arrest of her husband and two others.
Kuldeep Kaur, 32, a resident of Vancouver, was shot Thursday in Punjab’s Hoshiarpur district, just a day before she was to fly back to Canada. She had arrived in India with her husband Manjit Singh in January.
She was on her way to the gurudwara in Lehli village near Mahilpur town, 20 km from here, when she was shot by two motorcycle-borne men from close range. Kaur died on the spot.
Apart from Manjit Singh, the others who have been arrested are his brother Charanjit Singh, who is described as a local Akali Dal leader, and Satinder Singh, an unemployed youth, police said.
“One more accused Iqbal Singh, who was driving the motorcycle, is still at large,” Hoshiarpur police chief Parmod Ban told reporters here Saturday.
“Manjit Singh had illicit relations with another woman, Rani, in Vancouver who is expecting his child. He wanted to marry Rani that is why he wanted to kill his wife,” Ban added.
The victim was also insured for Canadian $400,000 and Manjit “also wanted to grab this money in connivance with his brother”, Ban said.
- NRI woman from Vancouver shot dead in Punjab village - Mar 05, 2009
- More arrests likely in Punjab honour killing - Jul 25, 2010
- Two cops booked for driving colleague to suicide - Mar 02, 2011
- Woman killed in Punjab for bearing daughters - Apr 17, 2012
- British team in Punjab to probe murder case - Sep 17, 2010
- Punjab man gets life term for klling wife in Vancouver - Mar 26, 2011
- All about family in Punjab Congress this election - Jan 06, 2012
- Five Punjab players appointed police officers - Jul 18, 2011
- Pakistani singer gunned down - Jun 19, 2012
- Spate of honour killings shakes up Punjab - Jul 14, 2011
- Parents kill son, wife - Dec 22, 2010
- Fake kidnapping drama: NRI, friend booked - Apr 25, 2011
- Punjab's runaway NRI grooms lose passports - Jul 06, 2011
- Bhagat Singh's niece fights 21-year legal battle - Jan 07, 2011
- Have come with hopes of brother's release: Sarbjeet's sister - Jun 07, 2011