Husband agrees to treat wife as ’sister’June 17th, 2011 - 12:58 am ICT by IANS
Meerut, June 16 (IANS) A woman who married a Meerut businessman confessed before him that she loved another man and pleaded him to treat her like a sister, which he agreed. The newly-wed woman has now sought police protection against threats from her father who is opposed to her love affair, police said Thursday.
Superintendent of Police (City), Meerut, Prabal Pratap Singh confirmed receiving a request for protection made by the woman identified as Aarti.
“We are looking into a complaint that she received threats from her father,” he said, adding that they would take action, if needed.
Aarti’s father Anil Tyagi is a sub-inspector in Uttarakhand.
Aarti wed Nitish Tyagi, a resident of Devlok Colony in Meerut May 6, but told him that she had secretly married her lover Vineet earlier.
She said she was forced into the wedding after her elder sister, who was originally supposed to marry Nitish, eloped with her lover.
Nitish’s father, a real estate developer, said his family had accepted Aarti as a daughter. “Her wish to formalise her marriage with Vineet would be fulfilled,” he said.
Aarti told police that her father threatened her and said he would implicate Nitish’s family in a dowry case.
- Woman commits suicide, six held in dowry case - Jun 14, 2012
- Chiranjeevi's son-in-law booked for dowry harassment - Mar 15, 2011
- Woman dies after jumping from metro station terrace - May 04, 2012
- Court tells Delhi cops to protect newly-wed couple - Jun 11, 2012
- Married woman commits suicide, in-laws booked - Jan 28, 2012
- Man shot in suspected honour killing in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 02, 2012
- Girl elopes, father and brother commit suicide - Nov 26, 2011
- UP minister's kin arrested for gang rape - Jan 29, 2011
- The grooms were drunk, the brides said no - May 01, 2012
- Dowry death: Four booked in Punjab - Jul 01, 2011
- Woman hanged, beaten, burnt on pyre - Oct 24, 2011
- Delhi woman killed by in-laws, husband - May 05, 2012
- One held for killing woman in front of her son - Sep 12, 2012
- Man sentenced to life for killing sister-in-law - Jul 18, 2012
- Bengal women's panel seeks report on newly-wed couple - Sep 06, 2012