Husain’s work fetches over Rs.2 crore (With Image)March 19th, 2010 - 2:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 19 (IANS) An untitled work by eminent painter M.F. Husain sold for over Rs.2 crore at the Saffronart Spring Online Auction 2010.
The art work that crossed the Rs.2 crore mark shows four horses and a female rider and was painted by Husain 1970.
The Saffronart auction Wednesday witnessed a resurgence in demand for works by pioneering contemporary masters, said a statement issued by the Mumbai-based online art auction house.
A 1953 portrait by Akbar Padamsee, “Prophet”, sold for Rs.1.25 crore against an estimate of Rs.36 lakh while F.N. Souza’s “Decomposing Head” went for Rs.1.57 crore against an estimate of Rs.1.12 crore.
Subodh Gupta’s “Doot” sold for Rs.1.75 crore. The online auction raked in Rs.21 crore ($4.6 million).
Said Dinesh Vazirani, CEO and co-founder of Saffronart: “The strong results of our spring Online Auction 2010 are an affirmation of the renewed confidence of the growing collector base for Indian art. The results from the auction indicate a consistent demand from collectors for top quality and rare works with important provenance.”
Saffronart’s Spring Online Auction featured 100 works by 47 modern and contemporary Indian artists including M.F. Husain, F.N. Souza, S.H. Raza, Manjit Bawa, Akbar Padamsee, Subodh Gupta, Shibu Natesan, Anju Dodiya and Jagannath Panda.
- Raza, Husain, Souza top grossers in online art auction - Sep 14, 2010
- Saffronart summer sale to focus on modern masters (With Images) - Jun 13, 2010
- Bawa sets new price record at global online auction (With Image) - Dec 14, 2009
- Arpita Singh sets record as art mart booms again - Dec 11, 2010
- Husain fetches Rs.1.45 crore at art auction - Nov 06, 2011
- Sabavala sets price record at Saffronart art summer sale - Jun 21, 2010
- E-commerce changing India's art mart: Saffronart CEO (Interview) - Sep 15, 2011
- Roller coaster year for Indian art (2011 in Retrospect) (With images) - Dec 28, 2011
- Art auction market witnessing new generation of buyers (With Images) - Jul 11, 2012
- Tyeb Mehta still rules art auctions - Sep 25, 2011
- Contemporary masters on paper in Saffronart auction - Jul 05, 2011
- Saffronart auctions 'words and lines' by Indian masters - Apr 19, 2011
- Rare Indian, Asian art at Christie's sale (With Images) - Mar 15, 2012
- Four Indian galleries, Husain tribute at Art Dubai 2012 (With Image) - Jan 17, 2012
- Indian art 2.0: Rise of the Young Turks - Sep 08, 2011