Husain exhibition vandalizedAugust 24th, 2008 - 7:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 24 (IANS) A protest exhibition organized in support of painter M.F. Husain, whose portrayal of Hindu goddesses has invited the wrath of Hindu activists, ran into rough weather here Sunday as some people vandalised his paintings.”The incident took place at around 3.30 p.m. when a group of around 15 people reached the exhibition venue and tried to damage the paintings,” said Rajan, one of the organisers.
“They were shouting slogans and holding placards reading ‘Bharat Mata ki Jai, Jai Shri Ram’,” Rajan added.
The symbolic exhibition was organised under the aegis of the Safdar Hashmi Memorial Trust (SAHMAT) at the Constitution Club here.
SAHMAT activists alleged attackers were from the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP).
SAHMAT was displeased over the India Art Summit’s decision against showcasing Husain’s work during the three-day, first-of-its-kind event. In a gesture of solidarity with the artist, the cultural activist organisation decided to organise a parallel exhibition showcasing only his work.
Some policemen reached the spot soon after the incident but the miscreants had managed to escape by then.
No formal police complaint was lodged immediately.
- Sahmat sends open invitation to Rushdie - Jan 23, 2012
- Husain's paintings to be back at art summit (Lead) - Jan 21, 2011
- Intellectuals speak up for M.F. Husain, Arundhati Roy - Jan 01, 2011
- A mega tribute to M.F. Husain planned in capital (With Image) - Jun 25, 2011
- Competitions, calendar release on Husain's birth anniversary - Sep 16, 2011
- Events in Delhi to mark poet Faiz's birth centenary - Dec 28, 2010
- For M.F. Husain, Shahnaz Husain was empress Noor Jahan (With Images) - Jul 03, 2011
- M.F. Husain to be remembered on death anniversary (With Image) - Jun 02, 2012
- Family, friends recall Husain, colossus of Indian art - Sep 17, 2011
- Artists, thinkers outraged over crackdown on gay lensman's work - Mar 28, 2012
- Sahmat exhibits vandalism of Husain works - Aug 25, 2008
- Husain's paintings removed from India Art Summit - Jan 21, 2011
- At long last, Husain comes to Delhi (Feature, With Image) - Aug 06, 2011
- Husain's works draw big crowds at art summit - Jan 22, 2011
- In exile, Husain wanted to destroy his paintings: Son - Jul 04, 2011