Hurricane Paloma hits CubaNovember 9th, 2008 - 12:51 pm ICT by IANS
Miami, Nov 9 (IANS) Hurricane Paloma with wind speed of 195 km an hour hit the central Cuban province of Camaguey late Saturday, EFE news agency reported.Cuban weather office said Paloma , the third powerful hurricane this season to lash the Caribbean island, would move Sunday morning toward the Bahamas.
A hurricane advisory was still in force for the Cuban provinces of Ciego de Avila, Camaguey, Las Tunas, Granma and Holguin.
The current Atlantic hurricane season that began June 1 and ends Nov 30 has seen 16 tropical storms and eight hurricanes including Paloma.
Meteorologists at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) of the US, have forecast that this would be a very active season with the possible formation of 14 to 18 tropical storms, of which seven to 10 could be of hurricane force.
- Tropical storm Bret forms near the Bahamas, watch in effect - Jul 18, 2011
- Tropical depression forms in the western Caribbean Sea, heads for Honduras - Aug 19, 2011
- Tropical Storm Emily forms in the Caribbean, heads for the Dominican Republic - Aug 02, 2011
- Hurricane Paloma with 195-km an hour windspeed hits Cuba (Lead) - Nov 09, 2008
- Hurricane Ike powers toward Cuba - Sep 08, 2008
- Tropical storm Cindy moving away from land - Jul 21, 2011
- Hurricane Katia strengthens into a major category four hurricane - Sep 06, 2011
- Tropical Depression Seven forms in the eastern Atlantic, set to become hurricane - Aug 25, 2010
- Hurricane Irene weakens slightly as it marches toward North Carolina - Aug 26, 2011
- New depression prompts tropical storm warnings in the Caribbean - Aug 21, 2012
- Tropical storm Katia strengthens - Aug 30, 2011
- Category two hurricane Paula takes aim for Cuba - Oct 13, 2010
- Tropical depression forming in the Atlantic, could become tropical storm Bonnie - Jul 22, 2010
- More than 800,000 without power as Hurricane Irene slams Puerto Rico - Aug 22, 2011
- Tropical depression forms in the far eastern Atlantic, may threaten the Caribbean - Aug 29, 2011