Hungary’s thieving granny strikes againFebruary 13th, 2009 - 1:34 pm ICT by IANS
Budapest, Feb 13 (DPA) A geriatric kleptomaniac known as “Flying Gizi” was arrested in Hungary for the umpteenth time on Thursday following a bungled burglary attempt, police announced.
At an age when most Hungarian pensioners are content with daytime television and grumbling about their health, the incorrigible 83-year-old Gizella Kosztor set off on Thursday morning for a spot of breaking and entering.
Unfortunately for the light-fingered granny, the owner of the house she picked in Komarom, 100 kilometres north west of Budapest, was at home and immediately called the police.
Kosztor has been known to the Hungarian police for over half a century. She earned the moniker “Flying Gizi” in the 1950s thanks to her modus operandi of using domestic flights for day trips to provincial Hungarian towns.
After a day out on the steal, she would fly back to Budapest with her loot.
Although in recent years “Flying Gizi” has developed a sideline as a guest on television talk shows, her career can scarcely be described as successful.
With 21 convictions, she has been sentenced to a total of 40 years in prison. Even with early releases for good behaviour and five official pardons, Kosztor has spent a full 20 years behind bars.
She now prefers to take the train for her crime sprees. As a pensioner, she is entitled to travel for free.
- Kidnapped Hungarians released in Syria - Aug 26, 2012
- 286 kg marijuana found in vehicle in Hungary - Aug 26, 2012
- Brad Pitt's movie set raided - Oct 11, 2011
- Conman dupes by posing as cop, held - Jun 19, 2012
- 97-year-old Hungarian goes on trial for WW II crimes - May 06, 2011
- Man kills four in Hungary sword attack - Apr 07, 2012
- Minor girl in Uttar Pradesh attacked for resisting rape - Feb 06, 2011
- Tikku killer accused of other murders along with wife - Apr 18, 2012
- Same man attacked Talwar, S.P.S. Rathore - Jan 25, 2011
- Pakistani hides inside car dashboard to enter Hungary - May 07, 2010
- Hungarian football club director commits suicide - Mar 03, 2012
- Israeli team to reach Delhi to discuss attack - Feb 15, 2012
- Ola Mae Agee: 87 Year Old Granny Jailed for Drug-Dealing - Nov 02, 2010
- Man robs gold shop with fake gun - Sep 30, 2011
- Service level agreements will put an end to middlemen: Dikshit - Sep 11, 2011