Hundreds of Libyan refugees feared dead after ship sinks off LibyaMay 10th, 2011 - 5:33 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 10 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Hundreds of Libyan refugees are feared dead after an overcrowded ship carrying some 600 people trying to flee Libya sank just outside of the port of Tripoli, world media reported Monday.
The unrest in the country, which began in mid-February, has already claimed thousands of lives, with Muammar Gaddafi’s troops maintaining their combat capabilities despite NATO air strikes against them.
The UN’s refugee agency said 16 bodies from the sunken boat, including two babies, had been found.
The boat was heading to Italy when it hit rocks and sank. Italian body guards managed to rescue many passengers.
NATO has denied earlier reports that it had left dozens of migrants to die aboard of another vessel.
The UN Security Council adopted a resolution imposing a no-fly zone over Libya March 17, paving the way for a military operation against embattled Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi which began two days later.
The command of the operation was shifted from a US-led international coalition to NATO in late March.
Public protests in the Middle East and North Africa have recently ousted regimes in Egypt and Tunisia, and led to a civil war in Libya, with protests continuing in Syria and Bahrain.
- Russia, China to cooperate on Middle East, North Africa - May 06, 2011
- Gaddafi's wife and daughter flee to Tunisia: Al Jazeera - May 18, 2011
- Japan freezes $4.4 bn worth of Gaddafi regime assets - Jun 04, 2011
- NATO air strikes in Tripoli kill 19 civilians: Libyan TV - May 25, 2011
- Moscow alarmed over NATO's disproportionate use of force in Libya - Jun 05, 2011
- Russia-NATO Council to discuss conflict settlement in Libya - Mar 29, 2011
- Libya seeks Moscow's role in peaceful settlement to conflict - Apr 25, 2011
- Gaddafi offers $400,000 bounty for Libyan opposition leader - Mar 10, 2011
- Gaddafi's son, three grandchildren killed in NATO air strike (Lead) - May 01, 2011
- US Congress votes against military campaign in Libya - Jun 25, 2011
- US stopped 'Gaddafi's deadly advance': Obama (Lead) - Mar 29, 2011
- French warplanes destroy Gaddafi's command centre - Mar 29, 2011
- Chavez sends letter to Gaddafi wishing him victory - Aug 07, 2011
- Russia sends aid for Libyan refugees - Mar 06, 2011
- Berlusconi denies deaths of Gaddafi's son, grandchildren - May 26, 2011
Tags: combat capabilities, fly zone, international coalition, italian body, libyan leader muammar, libyan leader muammar gaddafi, march 17, migrants, military operation, muammar gaddafi, nato air, north africa, paving the way, public protests, refugee agency, ria novosti, ship sinks, sunken boat, tripoli, un security council