Hundreds flee wildfires in SpainApril 27th, 2008 - 8:39 am ICT by admin
San Sebastian (Spain), April 27 (DPA) Hundreds of people fled wildfires Saturday on the Spanish island of La Gomera, with some residents taking refuge on the beaches, provincial authorities said. Separate blazes broke out around the towns of Hermigua, Vallehermoso and Agulo in the northern part of the island. There were no immediate reports about the source of the fires.
At least one house was destroyed by late Saturday. There were no reports of casualties.
Amid high winds driving the wildfires, dozens of fire-fighters and volunteers were battling the flames, with aerial support from tanker planes. Spanish military troops in the Canary Islands were expected to join the effort.
La Gomera’s Garajonay National Park, which is listed by UNESCO as a world heritage site, could be endangered by the blazes on the island.
- Canary Islands fire threatens heritage site - Aug 07, 2012
- Sharjah skyscraper catches fire - Apr 28, 2012
- Over 1,200 firefighters battle New Mexico's largest ever wildfire - Jun 04, 2012
- Major fire breaks out in Bangladesh's Sunderbans - Mar 21, 2010
- 100 die in Pakistan as two factories go up in flames (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Massive fire at Maharashtra Mantralaya - Jun 21, 2012
- 19 NATO tankers torched in Pakistan - Aug 22, 2011
- Wildfire rages on Spanish island of Ibiza - May 27, 2011
- Mumbai blaze guts three shopping plazas, three firemen hurt - Nov 26, 2011
- 27 more NATO oil tankers destroyed in Pakistan (Lead) - Oct 09, 2010
- Massive fire in Uttar Pradesh warehouse - Aug 29, 2011
- Two fires break out in Kolkata, no casualties - Jun 16, 2012
- Arizona Cops Detain Man In Connection With Flagstaff Wildfire - Jun 20, 2010
- Man rams tanker into ex-wife's house - Jan 23, 2012
- Hundreds battle forest fire in China - Jan 28, 2012