Human trafficker nabbed in Guwahati, 8 girls rescuedMay 19th, 2012 - 6:37 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, May 19 (IANS) The Government Railway Police (GRP) Saturday nabbed a human trafficker and rescued eight girls from her clutches here.
Sources in the GRP said the eight girls were rescued from the Guwahati railway station and the woman trying to take the girls away from Assam was arrested.
“The girls were told that they would be given jobs in some spice factories in Kerala. The woman had brought the girls to Guwahati from Jonai in Dhemaji district of Assam. However, when we inquired, the woman could not give any proof that the girls would be given employment in Kerala,” sources informed.
“We contacted our counterpart in Dhemaji and were informed that the same woman had previously taken some other girls away from the remote areas of the district to unknown destinations by giving them hopes of employment. Those girls have, however, never returned to their families,” said the sources.
Investigation is on to find out more details about the human traffickers’ involvement in the incident and their network in the state, police added.
- Man held for human trafficking in Assam, 15 rescued - Jul 08, 2012
- Man held for human trafficking in Assam, 15 rescued (Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
- Four arrested for trafficking, eight girls rescued - Jun 26, 2012
- Thousands displaced in Assam flash floods - Aug 15, 2011
- Heavy rains in Arunachal cause floods in two Assam districts - Sep 14, 2012
- Nine lakh displaced in Assam flood havoc - Aug 24, 2011
- Arms seized in Assam, three arrested - Mar 27, 2012
- Assam floods toll 18 dead, 2,500 train passengers still stranded (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Woman engaged in trafficking held in Ghaziabad - Dec 31, 2010
- Nine illegal Bangladeshi migrants held in Assam - Mar 10, 2012
- Child trafficker nabbed in Lucknow, minors rescued - Nov 30, 2011
- Reverse flow begins from northeast to south - but slowly (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Over 300,00 stranded as Assam flood situation turns grim - Jul 04, 2009
- Thousands of fleeing northeastern people reach Guwahati - Aug 18, 2012
- Cannabis seized in Assam - May 14, 2012