Human shields used in Congo fighting: UNOctober 30th, 2008 - 2:37 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Oct 30 (DPA) The intensified fighting in North Kivu in Congo involved human shields and could create a “humanitarian crisis of catastrophic dimensions,” UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has said.The fighting between rebel troops and government soldiers could bring “dire consequences” in the region, Ban said Wednesday.
Ban called on governments that have influence on the forces on the ground to try to restore an effective ceasefire and prevent further casualties among the civilian population.
The UN reported the fighting in Goma and attacks on UN peacekeepers and humanitarian workers. The fighting in the last two days has set off a new wave of tens of thousands of refugees.
The UN said civilian human shields were being used and said civilians were being deliberately targeted, but shared no precise information.
“Throughout the last 48 hours, the secretary general has been in contact with key leaders of the region and in the international community to urge immediate steps to halt the fighting,” a UN spokesperson said, adding “he will continue his efforts to this end.”
- UN condemns killing of Indian peacekeepers in Congo - Aug 19, 2010
- Three Indian U.N. peacekeepers killed in D.R. Congo attack - Aug 19, 2010
- UN Security Council condemns rape in Congo - Aug 26, 2010
- 240 victims of mass rape in Congo: UN - Sep 02, 2010
- UN chief for protecting civilians caught in war - Nov 10, 2011
- UN to withdraw peacekeeping force from Sudan - Jul 12, 2011
- UN chief to attend London conference on Libya - Mar 29, 2011
- Indian peacekeepers recognised for services in Congo - Feb 02, 2010
- Ban backs UN presence in Syria - Aug 12, 2012
- UN to mark day commemorating peacekeepers - May 27, 2011
- Congo, Rwanda agree to attend summit on Congo violence (Lead) - Nov 01, 2008
- UN chief condemns Sudan's continued bombings against S. Sudan - Apr 24, 2012
- About 160 women raped per week in Congo: UN - Feb 09, 2010
- Pakistani speaker role model for women: UN chief - May 14, 2011
- Diplomatic efforts to resolve Congo crisis under way - Oct 31, 2008