Human Rights Watch slams Sri Lanka reportDecember 18th, 2011 - 4:02 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Dec 18 (IANS) A Sri Lankan government report disregards the “worst abuses” by government forces towards the end of the war that killed the Tamil Tigers in 2009, Human Rights Watch has said.
The Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission (LLRC) report also “rehashes longstanding recommendations and fails to advance accountability for victims of Sri Lanka’s armed conflict”, it said Saturday.
The “serious shortcomings” of the 388-page report “highlight the need for an international investigative mechanism into the conflict as recommended by the UN Secretary-General’s Panel of Experts in April”.
“While the UN Panel of Experts recommended the establishment of an independent international mechanism to (probe) alleged violations, the LLRC report provides no realistic pathway for holding accountable military and government officials implicated in serious abuses.
“Governments and UN bodies have held back for the past 18 months to allow the Sri Lankan commission to make progress on accountability,” said Brad Adams, Asia director at Human Rights Watch.
“The commission’s failure to provide a road map for investigating and prosecuting wartime perpetrators shows the dire need for an independent, international commission.”
- No progress on justice in Sri Lanka: Human Rights Watch - Jan 23, 2012
- Report on Sri Lanka 'war crimes' to be released - Oct 18, 2011
- Human rights groups snub 'flawed' Sri Lankan war crime panel - Oct 15, 2010
- Probe Sri Lanka killings, CPI-M says - Mar 13, 2012
- Geneva vote 'strong message for justice' - Mar 22, 2012
- Probe 'atrocities', CPI-M tells Sri Lanka - Mar 19, 2012
- Key report on war crimes presented in Sri Lanka - Nov 21, 2011
- Punish the war guilty, US tells Sri Lanka - Sep 14, 2012
- Sri Lanka keen to implement war commission report - Apr 04, 2012
- India votes against Sri Lanka, tries to pacify Colombo (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 22, 2012
- 'India hoping for forward-looking outcome on Sri Lanka resolution' - Mar 13, 2012
- After vote, India says it stands by Sri Lanka - Mar 22, 2012
- India votes against Sri Lanka, then mollifies Colombo (Roundup) - Mar 22, 2012
- Address accountability, US tells Lanka - Mar 22, 2012
- Credible allegations of war crimes in Sri Lanka war: UN report - Apr 26, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,