Human rights group gives Beijing Games negative verdictAugust 25th, 2008 - 12:37 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 25 (DPA) China failed to win any medals in the human rights department during the Beijing Olympics, a rights watchdog said Monday.The Chinese government “blatantly and successfully” used the Games to realise its political goals, Hong Kong-based Human Rights in China (HRIC) said.
“Yet the carefully orchestrated facade could not conceal a police state that tramples on human rights,” HRIC executive director Sharon Hom said.
The Chinese people were to continue to shoulder the enormous financial, environmental and social costs of hosting the games, the NGO said.
Since 2001, about 1.5 million Beijing residents were forcibly resettled to make space for the construction of the Olympic venues, often receiving little or no compensation.
About 200 million cubic metres of water were used for “greening” Beijing, which is located at the edge of the desert, HRIC said. The water was redirected from the neighbouring drought-stricken Heibei province.
“The International Olympic Committee kept its head in the sand when faced with reports of violations of media access, crackdowns and round-ups, and concerns about air pollution hazards,” Hom said.
- China celebrates 'huge prestige bonanza' of Olympics - Aug 25, 2008
- China's first Olympics leaves pride, regrets - Dec 13, 2008
- Olympics helped Chinese give new thinking, says daily - Aug 13, 2012
- China completes tunnel under Yellow river - Jan 09, 2012
- Human Rights Watch hails India vote on Syria - Feb 05, 2012
- China welcomes Year of the Dragon (Lead) - Jan 23, 2012
- Beijing to face acute water shortage - Apr 24, 2012
- China to send 396-strong team to London Olympics - Jul 10, 2012
- China wants citizens to value water - Mar 22, 2011
- Beijing-Manila row over island - May 08, 2012
- China can't reach Beijing gold haul in London, says official - Apr 20, 2012
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- Don't reject state-run sports, says Chinese daily - Aug 04, 2012
- Gymnast Teng pulls out of Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- 2.57 million Chinese affected by drought - Jan 31, 2011