Huge fire in Hyderabad cracker shopOctober 4th, 2010 - 1:52 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Oct 4 (IANS) A huge fire broke out in a firecracker shop here early Monday, damaging the three-storey building and triggering panic. No casualties were reported.
Police said the fire was put off after five fire tenders battled the blaze for several hours. A short circuit is believed to have caused the fire.
The fire broke out in Mahabubgunj in the busy Malakpet area around 1 a.m., triggering a series of blasts.
Thick clouds of smoke engulfed the area while flames leapt out with every blast. The fire fighters had a tough time controlling the flames due to the blasts.
The incident ahead of Deepavali exposes the negligence of authorities because storing and selling of firecrackers in a residential area is prohibited. The owner of Bhavani Fireworks had stored a large quantity of firecrackers in the building for the upcoming festival.
Local legislator Ahmed Bilala of the Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) blamed the authorities for the accident. He said it could have caused a major tragedy.
Residents of the area pointed out that while Mahabubgunj had vegetable and grain shops, the firecracker shop was allowed to run in violation of the rules.
Police said a case had been registered against the shop owner.
In 2007, four child workers were killed in an illegal firecracker manufacturing unit at Goshamahal in Hyderabad.
The city also witnessed a major fire in a firecracker shop in Siddiamber Bazar in 2002, killing six people.
- Fire in Amritsar cracker shop - Oct 23, 2011
- Major fire in Lucknow factory - May 29, 2012
- Owaisi seeks action against lax cops for riots - Apr 12, 2012
- Two killed in fire at Andhra pharma factory - Dec 19, 2011
- Five killed in China fire - Jul 04, 2011
- 33 die as firecracker factory catches fire (Fourth Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Pranab appeals to all Andhra parties to support him (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- 36 die as firecracker factory catches fire (Fifth Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Major fire at Andheri shopping complex in Mumbai - Dec 03, 2010
- Massive fire at Maharashtra Mantralaya - Jun 21, 2012
- Two killed in Andhra fire mishap - Apr 02, 2012
- Four killed in Andhra fire mishap - Mar 29, 2012
- MIM leader Owaisi injured in attack, Hyderabad tense (Second Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- MIM legislator Owaisi discharged from hospital - May 20, 2011
- Nashik blast kills three, police rule out bomb - Jun 08, 2011
Tags: authorities, blasts, blaze, casualties, clouds of smoke, fire fighters, fire tenders, firecracker, firecrackers, fireworks, flames, legislator, mim, negligence, residential area, short circuit, thick clouds, tragedy