Huge drug haul at Chennai airportApril 29th, 2008 - 4:18 pm ICT by admin
Chennai, April 29 (IANS) A Filipina and an Indian were remanded to judicial custody Tuesday after being found with illegal drugs worth Rs.50 million at the Chennai aiport where they were about to board flights to Malaysia, customs officials said. This is the second major drug haul at Chennai airport in two months.
In all, 10 kg of Ketamine tablets and 2 kg of heroin were seized from from Rachael Dageagwiong, 39, of the Philippines and Azhagu Raja, 40, of Mannargudi in Tamil Nadu a little before midnight Monday during a joint operation by the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) and customs officials at the Anna International airport.
The suspects were about to board different flights bound for Kuala Lumpur when they were apprehended. The drugs found on them have an international open market price of Rs.50 million, customs officials said.
The Filipino is said to have claimed she was returning home after working in the Middle East for two years, police sources said.
DRI sources said they were acting on specific information. Both the passengers had concealed the contraband in small food containers.
“If the duo had been allowed to travel and had the DRI tipped off the authorities in Malaysia, the accused would have been in greater trouble since drug smugglers are awarded the death penalty in that country,” a police source at the airport told IANS.
A 22-year-old Taiwanese national, M.M. Nasser, bound for Taipei via Bangkok, was arrested in Chennai Feb 26 with 20 kg of Ketamine concealed in his luggage.
Developed by multinational pharmaceutical company Parke-Davis in 1962 as a veterinary drug, Ketamine is known to induce hallucinations when consumed by humans sans medical supervision. The drug has been banned worldwide since 2003.
- Chennai cops bust drug-smuggling attempt at airport - May 14, 2010
- Two arrested in Jaipur, 100 kg of banned drug seized - Aug 10, 2012
- Heroin worth over Rs.5 crore seized, one held - Oct 20, 2010
- Drug smuggling bid foiled in Dubai - Jan 14, 2012
- Three Indians held with drugs in Malaysia - Dec 10, 2009
- Drugs worth 50 million rupees seized in Chennai - Jul 03, 2008
- Drugs worth Rs.50 million seized at Chennai airport - Apr 30, 2008
- Man held at Jaipur airport for gold smuggling - Aug 10, 2012
- Four tonnes of drugs destroyed in China - Jun 03, 2012
- Drugs worth millions seized at Chennai airport - Feb 26, 2008
- South African woman held at Mumbai airport - Aug 25, 2012
- Drugs hidden with Indian prayer ash seized in Malaysia - Jan 05, 2010
- Man held with drugs at Dubai airport - Nov 24, 2011
- 10 kg heroin seized in Punjab, 3 held - Feb 02, 2011
- Four held for illicit manufacturing of Ketamine - Jun 02, 2011