HP posts decline of quarterly profit, salesFebruary 23rd, 2012 - 1:37 pm ICT by IANS
San Francisco, Feb 23 (IANS) Information technology multinational corporation Hewlett-Packard (HP) has reported that its profit dropped nearly 44 percent in the most recent quarter, with sales also declining.
The company Wednesday posted net earnings of about $1.5 billion in its 2012 first fiscal quarter ended Jan 31, compared with a profit of $2.6 billion in the same period a year ago.
Revenue in the quarter fell 7 percent year-on-year to around $30 billion, reported Xinhua.
Excluding certain items, HP earned 92 cents per share, down from $1.36 in the year-ago quarter but beat Wall Street’s estimates of 87 cents a share.
However, the company’s revenue fell short of analysts’ expectations of $30.67 billion, sending its shares down slightly in after-hours trading.
The results of the world’s largest personal computer (PC) maker were seen as a reflection of the weakness in the PC market.
HP said revenue of its Personal Systems Group, which includes the PC business, declined 15 percent in the quarter, with total units of computer sales down 18 percent year over year.
“In the first quarter, we delivered on our Q1 outlook and remained focused on the fundamentals to drive long-term sustainable returns,” Meg Whitman, HP’s chief executive officer, said in a statement.
“We are taking the necessary steps to improve execution, increase effectiveness and capitalize on emerging opportunities to reassert HP’s technology leadership,” she added.
- HP quarterly profit plunges - Nov 22, 2011
- HP to keep PC business - Oct 28, 2011
- Hewlett-Packard to slash 27,000 jobs - May 24, 2012
- HP to exit PC business - Aug 19, 2011
- Intel quarterly profit drops - Apr 18, 2012
- HP plans to cut 2,000 more jobs - Sep 11, 2012
- Is Meg Whitman going to be named as CEO of HP? - Sep 23, 2011
- Wall Street plunges amid concerns over Libya crisis - Feb 24, 2011
- Personal computer market grows 26 percent - Feb 17, 2011
- BRIC revenues help push IBM profits - Apr 18, 2012
- HP eyes 21.5 percent market share in consumer notebook segment - Jun 20, 2012
- HP, BlackBerry, Wal-Mart sink as markets retreat over Libyan crisis - Feb 23, 2011
- HP may buy software company for $10 bn: Report - Aug 19, 2011
- Jobs turns loser Apple into a big winner - Oct 06, 2011
- HP Is Palm's Silicon Valley Rescuer In A Whopping $1.4 billion pact - Apr 29, 2010
Tags: chief executive officer, computer sales, decline, first quarter, fiscal quarter, hewlett packard, hewlett packard hp, meg whitman, multinational corporation, necessary steps, pc business, personal computer pc, personal systems group, quarterly profit, reflection, sustainable returns, technology leadership, units of computer, wall street, xinhua