Howard Webb to referee Russia’s Euro 2012 openerJune 6th, 2012 - 7:20 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 6 (IANS/RIA Novosti) English referee Howard Webb has been entrusted with Russia’s opening game of Euro 2012 against the Czech Republic Friday, UEFA said Wednesday.
Webb will lead an all-English team of officials for the match, partnered by assistant referees Michael Mullarkey and Peter Kirkup. Two more English assistants, Martin Atkinson and Mark Clattenburg, will be kept in reserve.
With the refereeing teams announced for the opening two days of fixtures, Webb misses out on the chance to renew his acquaintance with the Dutch national side, who received nine yellow cards when Webb oversaw their World Cup final defeat to Spain, a record for the fixture.
Instead of Webb, an all-Slovenian refereeing team headed by Damir Sklomina have been picked for the Netherlands’ game against Denmark Saturday.
Spanish referee Carlos Velasco Carballo receives the honour of the opening match between Poland and Greece Friday, while Stephane Lannoy of France will take charge of Germany’s game against Portugal a day later.
As well as the 2010 World Cup final, Webb, 42, also oversaw the Champions League final that year, as Inter Milan beat Bayern Munich 2-0.
Webb, who serves as a police officer when he is not refereeing games, has officiated one Russia game in the past, a 1-1 draw away at Azerbaijan.
- Arshavin's creativity outweighs low stamina: Russia coach - Jun 16, 2012
- Russia showing dangerous cohesion: Arshavin - Jun 11, 2012
- Capello signs for Russia - Jul 26, 2012
- Russia feared at Euro 2012: Pavlyuchenko - Jun 08, 2012
- Arshavin visits St.Petersburg, sparks speculation - Aug 19, 2012
- Perfect Hancock grabs 2nd Olympic gold in skeet - Jul 31, 2012
- Russia's first: Woman referee to officiate men's match - Mar 22, 2012
- Maria Sharapova's new haircut sparks internet frenzy - Apr 18, 2012
- Russia's women's volleyball coach dies - Aug 29, 2012
- Petrescu confirmed as Dynamo coach - Aug 17, 2012
- Russia to get first Muslim TV channel in August - Jul 25, 2012
- Van Persie to make United debut Monday: Ferguson - Aug 16, 2012
- Crushing Czechs was easy: Pavlyuchenko - Jun 09, 2012
- UEFA must punish Russian FA over flare: Polish FA - Jun 11, 2012
- Russia's women retain chess Olympiad title - Sep 10, 2012
Tags: acquaintance, assistant referees, carballo, carlos velasco, champions league, czech republic, dg, dutch national side, euro 2012, honour, inter milan, mark clattenburg, martin atkinson, michael mullarkey, police officer, referee, ria novosti, uefa, world cup, yellow cards