Houses burnt, four killed in Orissa wedding disputeMay 16th, 2008 - 5:18 pm ICT by admin
Bhubaneswar, May 16 (IANS) Over sixty percent of the houses in a village in Orissa’s Puri district were burnt down and four people were killed in the violence following a dispute over a wedding procession, the police said Friday. Villagers from Kholaganj, 136 km from here, clashed with residents of the neighbouring Budhibara village over a wedding procession Thursday night, a district police official told IANS.
A youth of Budhibara village was killed in the clash. After this, some villagers set ablaze the houses at Kholaganj early hour Friday when the villagers were asleep.
The police said over sixty percent of houses in Kholaganj were completely gutted. At least three members of a family were burnt to death while five others sustained burn injuries.
About 100 policemen have been deployed in the area as the situation remained tense.
- Over 50 arrested after Orissa clash - Mar 04, 2010
- Over 25 injured in Orissa clash - Mar 03, 2010
- Rajasthan town remains tense after clash, curfew on - Aug 17, 2012
- 48 killed in Kenya ethnic clashes - Aug 22, 2012
- Two killed in villagers-police clash in Orissa - Jul 15, 2011
- UP suspends four officials after violence - Jun 26, 2012
- Maoists torch excavator in Odisha - Jul 20, 2012
- Three die during Rath Yatra in Orissa - Jul 03, 2011
- Teenager kills, burns parents in Haryana - May 14, 2012
- Maoists attack company site, torch vehicles - Oct 25, 2011
- Andhra villagers torch man to death (Lead) - May 31, 2011
- 1 shot dead, 10 burnt alive in caste clash - Mar 11, 2011
- Woman killed in Rajasthan stampede - Jun 30, 2012
- Woman, her two kids set afire in Bangladesh for dowry - Jul 05, 2011
- 86 arrested for Orissa killings - May 02, 2011