House panel may complete work on Lokpal bill soon: SinghviNovember 6th, 2011 - 6:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 6 (IANS) The parliamentary standing committee examining the Lokpal bill will complete its work “soon”, panel chairman Abhishek Manu Singhvi said Sunday.
Stating that giving a fixed timeline would be against parliamentary traditions, Singhvi said he would like the work to be over by early December.
“I had stoutly refused to set a timeline and a deadline, because I think it is contrary to parliamentary procedure and etiquette. But certainly given our speed and given our progress, you can see that we are doing our very best and I certainly would want to have something concrete before early part of December,” he said.
Consultation with representatives from all sections of society was over and the committee was now in deliberations, Singhvi said, adding that he was open to all suggestions including those from Team Anna, and can go out of way to incorporate some of them if they make the bill stronger.
“I am very clear and open in going against the government draft in some areas where I find the reasoning and logic of team Anna compelling. So I have a completely open mind,” he said.
Team Anna has been demanding for the passage of the Lokpal bill in parliament’s winter session, which ends Dec 21. Anna Hazare has also threatened to go on another fast from Dec 21 if the bill is not passed.
- Lokpal bill can be amended 80 percent: Singhvi - Aug 22, 2011
- Open to discussions on Lokpal, says PM as Hazare fast continues (Afternoon Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- Public opinion sought on Lokpal, Team Anna terms it diversion (Second lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- Public opinion sought on Lokpal, Team Anna rejects move (Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- Team Anna wants conduct of MPs in Lokpal Bill - Nov 03, 2011
- Parliamentary panel ideal to discuss Lokpal Bill: Singhvi - Aug 21, 2011
- BSP backs Anna, Lokpal heat is on government (Roundup) - Dec 13, 2011
- CBI, CVC chiefs meet PM on Lokpal bill (Lead) - Dec 14, 2011
- Team Anna reject Lokpal panel's recommendations - Dec 07, 2011
- PM ready for 'give and take' as Hazare continues fast (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2011
- Lokpal panel should be allowed to do good job: Singhvi - Oct 04, 2011
- Wrong to put timelines for Lokpal panel: Singhvi (Lead) - Nov 08, 2011
- More protests if Lokpal bill not passed: Bedi - Nov 18, 2011
- Dalits push their version of Lokpal bill - Oct 15, 2011
- Lokpal panel to meet Sep 7 to decide on time limit: Singhvi - Aug 29, 2011
Tags: anna hazare, consultation with representatives, deliberations, logic, manu, New Delhi, panel chairman, parliament, parliamentary procedure, parliamentary standing committee, something concrete, timeline, traditions, winter session