Hospital stretcher breaks, kills patientFebruary 1st, 2009 - 9:04 pm ICT by IANS
Alappuzha (Kerala), Feb 1 (IANS) In a state that boasts of quality healthcare services, a 49-year-old man died after the stretcher carrying him broke into pieces, an official said here Sunday.Congress legislator from Alappuzha K.C.Venugopal said Abdul Salam, a casual labourer, died at the state-owned Alappuzha Medical College Hospital.
“Salam was admitted to the hospital a few days back after he complained of severe chest pain. Today (Sunday) morning his condition worsened, and he was asked to be shifted to the intensive care unit. He was being taken to the ICU when the streacher broke into pieces. Salam fell and died,” he said.
Venugopal added that he has already informed Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan and state Health Minister P.K. Sreemathi about the accident.
“Salam hails from a very poor family. I have asked the state government to extend financial assistance to his family. He did not even have a home of his own,” said Venugopal.
As soon as the news of Salam’s death spread, angry activists from various political parties turned their ire towards the hospital administration and created unruly scenes at the hospital.
- Kerala to mark April 25 as anti-endosulphan day - Apr 20, 2011
- Festivities peak on Thiru Onam - Aug 29, 2012
- Achuthanandan's driver down with swine flu - Jun 09, 2010
- Achuthanandan offers all assistance to victims (Lead, changing dateline) - May 22, 2010
- Achuthanandan, three ministers out of Kerala poll fray (Second Lead) - Mar 17, 2011
- Kerala assembly pays homage to T.M. Jacob - Nov 02, 2011
- Sonia pays homage, thousands gather to bid Karunakaran adieu - Dec 24, 2010
- Three killed in Jharkhand hospital fire - Sep 08, 2012
- Students' strike hits medical college hospitals - Jan 28, 2011
- Thousands jostle to bid farewell to Karunakaran (Lead) - Dec 24, 2010
- Kerala minister, five others to be booked in sex case - Dec 10, 2008
- I will deal with land transfer case: Achuthanandan - Jan 12, 2012
- K.C. Venugopal: First time MP with state experience - Jan 19, 2011
- Killiroor sex case files are intact: Achuthanandan - Dec 12, 2008
- Achuthanandan's son-in-law favoured over other doctors? - Jun 05, 2010