Hospital patient gets $44 mn bill by mistakeJanuary 18th, 2012 - 10:36 am ICT by IANS
New York, Jan 18 (IANS/EFE) A computer error almost led to an asthma attack for an unemployed doorman who received a bill for $44.7 million from a hospital in New York.
“I almost had an asthma attack,” said 28-year-old Alexis Rodriguez, recounting his reaction when he saw the bill from the Bronx-Lebanon Hospital, the New York Daily News said.
Robinson underwent three weeks of treatment for pneumonia at the hospital in April last year, and was expecting a bill. But he was told he would have to pay only a small portion of the $40,000 tab.
He later learned that the firm that handles billing for the hospital mistakenly substituted invoice numbers for the amounts owed on bills that went to dozens of patients.
The firm which has been inundated by phone calls from other victims of the mistake, has sent out apologies to those who received erroneous bills.
- Migrants to US learn English by describing own lives - Jun 13, 2011
- 2012 will be a year of upheaval: Cuban priests - Jan 04, 2012
- Award-winning US reporter dies - Feb 18, 2012
- US man's alibi for parking ticket is birth of his daughter in car! - May 27, 2010
- Three die in Puerto Rico nursing home fire - Sep 05, 2012
- Cuban cancer vaccine to be tested in Britain - Nov 28, 2011
- Unemployment eases in Spain - May 05, 2011
- Cinema helps one understand life, reality: Spanish filmmaker - Mar 04, 2011
- Charlie Sheen's mystery woman hid porn star job from dad - Oct 28, 2010
- Cuban singer announces dates for US tour - Jun 21, 2011
- Cuban singer to perform in Miami - Jun 03, 2011
- Richest 1 percent in US saw incomes triple - Oct 28, 2011
- Judge shot dead in Guatemala - Feb 16, 2011
- Feliciano's new CD dedicated to Elvis Presley - Jan 12, 2012
- Puerto Rican musician Yomo Toro dies - Jul 03, 2012
Tags: alexis, apologies, asthma, asthma attack, computer error, doorman, dozens, hospital patient, lebanon hospital, mistake, new york daily news, phone calls, pneumonia, small portion, tb, york daily news