Horse’s tragic death cancels royal ceremonyJune 3rd, 2011 - 8:41 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 3 (IANS) A royal gun salute marking the Queen’s coronation was cancelled after an Army horse died accidentally while participating in the ceremony.
Members of the public watched in horror as the horse called Murphy became entangled with a gun carriage during the historic annual event in Hyde Park, London, Daily Express reported Friday.
The horse suffered a complex leg fracture and vets couldn’t save him.
The tragedy happened as soldiers from the Kings Troop were lining up during the Royal Salute, which is held June 2 anually to mark the Queen’s Coronation.
Murphy became trapped in the wheels and ended up being dragged across the grass.
Soldiers rushed to help save him but a vet decided the stricken horse was too badly injured and a green tent was erected while he was put to sleep.
The 17 century “Gun salutes” are the firing of cannons as a military honour.
- Queen's diamond jubilee celebration kicks off - Jun 02, 2012
- Fairytale wedding for Will-Kat - world hopes happily ever after - Apr 29, 2011
- Tricolour flies in Windsor for Pratibha Patil - Oct 27, 2009
- Capital's centenary: A walk down the Kingsway Camp - Dec 11, 2011
- Grand reception for President Patil at Windsor Castle - Oct 27, 2009
- Queen Elizabeth goes horse riding with grandchildren - May 11, 2011
- The Queen Elizabeth II 83rd birthday - Apr 21, 2009
- Mounted bodyguards, hazar sallam - Regal grandeur marks Pranab's swearing-in - Jul 25, 2012
- Newlywed Erica Marshall dies in a freak accident - Feb 14, 2012
- PETA for banning horse drawn carriages in Mumbai (With Images) - Jun 13, 2012
- Animal rights groups want tongas to stay off Delhi roads - Jul 18, 2012
- Royal wedding 'to serve as rehearsal for the Queen's funeral' - Apr 25, 2011
- Animal rights groups step up campaign against horse carriages - Jun 14, 2012
- Kate Middleton to arrive at wedding venue in car damaged by protests - Mar 22, 2011
- Wills, Kate's 'balcony kiss' key wedding moment! - Jan 06, 2011
Tags: anually, cannons, daily express, grass, gun carriage, gun salute, gun salutes, hyde park, hyde park london, june 3, kings troop, leg fracture, military honour, royal ceremony, royal salute, tent, tragedy, tragic death, vet, wheels