Hopes for Hewitt from legend LaverJanuary 28th, 2009 - 1:10 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Jan 28 (DPA) Legendary tennis player Rod Laver worries that Lleyton Hewitt’s hip surgery may have robbed the former number one of some of his famed speed around the court. “He’s lost a step or two, mostly because he’s had the hip injury,” said the last man to win the calendar Grand Slam in 1969. “There’s also the fact that you’ve had a career, won a Wimbledon and the US Open. Now all of a sudden everyone is saying, ‘Hey, you’re still a young man, you’re gonna win an Australian’, or whatever it might be.
“There’s a lot of pressure on Lleyton to do that. That’s something he’s got to get over. He’s got to get repaired, get some strength in it and then go again.”
Laver, visiting the Australian Open, regrets that Hewitt has not been able to truly inspire the generation behind him, with the 27-year-old now fighting to save his own career with a ranking that fell out of the Top 100 with a first-round defeat.
But even after his surgery, Laver feels Hewitt can resurrect his game.
“You need practice to get yourself into a groove to get more weight on his shots. When he does that, I think he could do it,” Laver said. “But it’s up to whether his hip and the rest of his body can take the beating to get up the top again.”
- Hewitt hopes to end losing streak to Federer - Jan 24, 2010
- Hewitt confident his body will get through another Australia Open - Jan 11, 2010
- Federer flies past Hewitt to Australian Open quarterfinal - Jan 25, 2010
- Wimbledon: Murray to face Davydenko in first round - Jun 22, 2012
- France's No.1 Tsonga demands Roland Garros respect (French Open diary) - May 28, 2010
- Oz Open will be my 'last chance in life' to bag Grand Slam equivalent: Nadal - Jan 13, 2011
- Injured Nadal aims for quick recovery to 'play best tennis again' - Jan 27, 2011
- Hewitt says he's still got a lot of grand slams left in him - Jan 02, 2010
- 'Big hearted' Hewitt one of the best grass court players: Becker - Jun 28, 2010
- Hingis at peace with Olympic decision - Aug 01, 2012
- Hewitt waiting to launch fresh titles bid in 2010 - Dec 28, 2009
- Hewitt targets return at Wimbledon - Jan 31, 2010
- Pat Rafter, Tony Roche set to inspire Oz Davis Cup team - Oct 20, 2010
- Nadal wins US Open to seal career Grand Slam - Sep 14, 2010
- Wimbledon king Federer flirts with first round disaster - Jun 21, 2010