Hooch kills 29 in Odisha, 10 held (Fourth Lead)February 8th, 2012 - 10:02 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Feb 8 (IANS) At least 29 people died in Odisha after consuming spurious liquor laced with drugs, officials said Wednesday. A total of 10 people have been arrested.
The victims from Cuttack and Khordha districts fell ill Tuesday after taking the drink that contained drugs used to treat cough and cold and to dress wounds.
Cuttack District Collector S.N. Girish told IANS that among the dead was Baidhar Bhoi, the brew seller. He was the first to die — Tuesday morning.
While 13 deaths were reported till Tuesday, 16 more people died Wednesday. The toll may not rise further as people admitted to the hospitals were recovering, Girish said.
According to officials, people from several areas had gone to Tukuliapada village in Cuttack district, some 25 km from here, to buy the drink Monday night.
Some people also were hospitalised after buying the same medicines from different shops in both the districts.
Police launched a crackdown on chemist shops in different parts of the state to find out if the medicines which allegedly caused the deaths were still available.
Police also raided factories of two pharmaceutical companies in Bhubaneswar and sealed these for allegedly supplying the medicines to the kingpin and to various shops.
Police said 10 people have been arrested. They include three relatives of the kingpin and seven of the pharmaceutical companies. “We are likely to arrest some more people,” Bhubaneswar’s Deputy Commissioner of Police Nitinjit Singh told IANS.
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik said a judicial commission led by a retired judge of the Odisha High Court will probe the deaths.
Excise Commissioner Sudarsana Nayak said the medicines used in the brew contained a high percentage of alcohol.
Activists of women’s organisations and members of opposition parties blocked roads and staged demonstrations in the affected areas to protest the deaths.
- Hooch kills 26 in Odisha, probe ordered (Third Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- Odisha moonshine toll is 30 (Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Hooch kills 29 in Odisha, 10 held (Night Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- Hooch kills 24 in Odisha (Second Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- Odisha hooch toll is 32, excise minister resigns (Second Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Odisha hooch toll 30, government blames medicines - Feb 09, 2012
- Hooch kills 19 in Odisha (Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- Complete shutdown observed in Odisha (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Toll in Orissa lightning strikes rises to 24 (Lead) - Aug 03, 2011
- Orissa lightning strikes leave 32 dead - Aug 03, 2011
- Odisha gang rape: Doctors protest action - Jun 27, 2012
- Lawyers enforce 12-hour shutdown in Odisha - May 08, 2012
- Heat death toll in Odisha climbs to 21 - May 29, 2012
- Top Odisha Maoist leader held - Jan 24, 2012
- Two workers killed in Orissa - Jun 26, 2010
Tags: chemist shops, chief minister, commissioner of police, cough, crackdown, cuttack, deputy commissioner, excise, factories, girish, hooch, judicial commission, kingpin, medicines, monday night, nayak, opposition parties, pharmaceutical companies, spurious liquor, tuesday morning