Hooch kills 19 in Odisha (Lead)February 8th, 2012 - 1:42 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Feb 8 (IANS) At least 19 people died in Odisha and more than a dozen others were battling for life after consuming medicines as a substitute for liquor, officials said Wednesday.
The victims from Cuttack and its adjoining Khordha districts fell ill after consuming the cough and cold syrup they had bought from a man at Tukuliapada village in Cuttack district Monday. Baidhar Bhoi, the seller, too died Tuesday.
“The toll stood at 19,” district collector S.N.Girish told IANS. The toll may increase as several others were in critical condition.
Excise Commissioner Sudarsana Nayak said the liquor addicts consumed medicinal formulations which contained high percentage of alcohol.
Three people, who are relatives of the seller, have been arrested.
- Hooch kills 26 in Odisha, probe ordered (Third Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- Hooch kills 24 in Odisha (Second Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- Hooch kills 29 in Odisha, 10 held (Fourth Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- Hooch kills 29 in Odisha, 10 held (Night Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- Odisha moonshine toll is 30 (Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Odisha hooch toll is 32, excise minister resigns (Second Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Odisha hooch toll 30, government blames medicines - Feb 09, 2012
- Hooch kills 17 in Andhra (Second Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- Toll in Andhra hooch tragedy mounts to 15 (Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- Heat death toll in Odisha climbs to 21 - May 29, 2012
- Toll in Andhra hooch tragedy rises to 18 - Jan 02, 2012
- West Bengal hooch deaths rise to 167 (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Toll in Andhra hooch tragedy rises to 13 - Jan 01, 2012
- Major hooch tragedies in India - Dec 15, 2011
- Hooch sellers to be helped into alternate trade: Mamata - Dec 23, 2011