Hononary doctorate conferred on UNIDO chiefSeptember 8th, 2008 - 3:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 8 (IANS) The University of Madras has conferred an honorary doctor of literature (D.Litt) degree on Kandeh K. Yumkella, the director-general of the United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO).University of Madras vice-chancellor S. Ramachandran conferred the degree on Yumkella at the special convocation and valedictory function of 150th year celebrations of the university, a UNIDO statement said.
“His people-centred management style makes his colleagues work with dignity, honesty and integrity. It is for his practical foresight and the reforms he has brought about in UNIDO practices that he has been conferred the degree,” Ramachandran said at the function Friday.
In his acceptance speech, Yumkella said: “The skills and capabilities today stem from an interactive framework between universities, institutions and enterprises. The fastest are those who interact with centres of excellence. Such an interactive framework is the nerve centre of national and sectoral innovation systems and the basis for sustainable wealth and employment creation.”
Besides Yumkella, the University of Madras also conferred D.Litt degrees on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Congress president Sonia Gandhi and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi.
- Panjab University honour to come home to Khushwant Singh - Jan 22, 2011
- Jamia to confer honorary degree to UN chief - Apr 25, 2012
- Jamia to confer Doctor of Letters degree to Dalai Lama - Nov 22, 2010
- Bangladesh PM to visit Tripura - Sep 11, 2011
- Tripura varsity confers honorary doctorate on Hasina - Jan 12, 2012
- What happened to PM's honorary degree? - Jul 28, 2011
- Protect, improve traditional knowledge of northeast India: Patil - Sep 25, 2010
- Mumbai police uncultured: Asha Bhosle - Mar 02, 2011
- Pratibha Patil to be awarded doctorate by Goa University - Nov 21, 2009
- Bangladesh prime minister to visit Tripura in September - Apr 11, 2010
- Tripura varsity to confer doctorate on Sheikh Hasina - Dec 21, 2011
- Tripura university to set up Bangladesh Study Centre - Jan 25, 2012
- Be a global citizen, Ban Ki-moon tells India's youth - Apr 27, 2012
- Jamia honours Amartya Sen (With Image) - Dec 16, 2011
- Girls outshine boys at Panjab University convocation - Feb 14, 2011