Hong Kong shuts down as Typhoon Nuri edges closerAugust 22nd, 2008 - 12:01 pm ICT by IANS
Hong Kong, Aug 22 (DPA) Hong Kong prepared for a battering Friday as Typhoon Nuri neared, raising fears that the city could be in line for a direct hit.The government issued a number eight typhoon warning signal Friday morning as the typhoon, which killed seven people in the Philippines, headed toward southern China.
Signal number eight is issued when average wind speeds reach 63 km per hour. All government offices are to close down, as well as schools, public transport and Hong Kong’s stock market, bringing the city to a standstill.
Schools closed and workers stayed home, ferry and tram services halted as winds reached 87 kmph in some parts of the former British colony in the morning.
Cathay Pacific and Dragonair announced that all flights would be suspended from 2 p.m.
The Hong Kong Observatory said the typhoon was expected to be at its closest to Hong Kong late Friday afternoon and in the early evening.
But the typhoon, the third so far this year, arrived too late to affect the Olympic equestrian event finals staged in Hong Kong Thursday.
The observatory did not rule out the possibility of a direct hit - which would be the first since 1999.
The highest signal, number 10, was last hoisted in 1999 when Typhoon York scored a direct hit, leaving three people dead.
- Cathay Pacific announces Hyderabad-Hong Kong flight - Aug 23, 2012
- Dragonair to link Kolkata and Hong Kong - May 23, 2012
- Typhoon Damrey slams China - Aug 03, 2012
- Typhoon hurts more than 50 in Hong Kong - Sep 15, 2009
- Thousands evacuated in China as Muifa threat looms large (Second Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- Typhoon Talas leaves at least 18 dead in Japan - Sep 04, 2011
- Tropical storm brings Hong Kong to a halt - Jun 25, 2008
- 20,000 Hong Kong airline staff asked to take unpaid leave - Apr 17, 2009
- Over 100,000 evacuated in China as storm approaches - Aug 08, 2011
- Typhoon 'Megi' hits China, 270,000 evacuated - Oct 23, 2010
- Taiwan issues warning as Typhoon Fanapi approaches - Sep 18, 2010
- Depression over Bay of Bengal, fishermen alerted - Oct 19, 2011
- China braces for typhoon Kai-Tak - Aug 17, 2012
- Cyclone Thane kills 33 in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Fourth Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Over 360,000 people evacuated in east China as storm nears (Lead) - Aug 08, 2011