Homosexuality, lesbian relationships unnatural, SC told (Lead)February 15th, 2012 - 11:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 15 (IANS) The Supreme Court Wednesday was told that homosexuality and lesbian relationship were unnatural and against the order of nature as provided under the Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
Senior counsel Amarendra Saran told the court during the hearing on a batch of petitions challenging the Delhi High Court’s July 2, 2009 verdict holding that Section 377, which criminalises gay sex among consenting adults, was a violation of fundamental right
The apex court bench of Justice G.S. Singhvi and Justice S.J. Mukhopadhaya was told that the order of nature as mentioned in Section 377 of IPC had attained a “particular meaning and a traditional meaning” as understood by society.
Section 377 IPC which deals with unnatural offences reads: “Whoever voluntarily has carnal intercourse against the order of nature with any man, woman or animal, shall be punished with….”
Saran who appeared for the Delhi Commission for Protection of Child Rights (DCPCR) told the court that “right (life or personal liberty) under Article 21 is not absolute and can be controlled by law. The law must provide for reasonable procedure that is the only requirement under the code of criminal procedure”.
He told the court that when Article 15 provides for no discrimination on ground of sex it means gender and not the sexual orientations.
He told the court that public morality was the same as constitutional morality and should not be seen as distinct in the instant case.
The court asked how could the test tube babies and surrogate mothers could be seen in the understood meaning of the order of nature. The court asked if in both cases it was in conformity with the order of nature and carnal intercourse as provided under Section 377 IPC.
The court would next hear the case Thursday.
- Criminal acts in privacy not immune, court told - Feb 22, 2012
- Scope of penal provision on gay sex wide: SC - Feb 16, 2012
- Scope of penal provision on gay sex wide: SC (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- Homosexuality, lesbian relationships unnatural, SC told - Feb 15, 2012
- Activists slam government's stand on gay sex - Feb 23, 2012
- Government disowns remarks on gays (Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Transgenders promote their rights through Coimbatore film festival - Aug 27, 2010
- Apex court seeks attorney general's assistance in gay law case - Mar 21, 2012
- Gay sex legalised in India, religious leaders protest (Second Lead) - Jul 02, 2009
- Court verdict will give us life of dignity, say gays - Jul 02, 2009
- Government's flip-flop on gay sex ban (Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012
- Apex court assails state's neutrality on gay sex - Feb 29, 2012
- Apex court raps government for flip-flop on homosexuality (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- "Bollywood supports gay rights," says Celina Jaitley - Jun 29, 2009
- Supreme Court to hear pleas against gay sex in April (Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
Tags: apex court, article 21, carnal intercourse, consenting adults, court bench, delhi commission, delhi high court, fundamental right, indian penal code, lesbian relationship, lesbian relationships, man woman, personal liberty, public morality, saran, section 377, senior counsel, sexual orientations, surrogate mothers, test tube babies