Home ministry officer booked in bullet proof jacket scamApril 29th, 2010 - 12:24 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 28 (IANS) A senior home ministry official was booked for corruption and his residence was raided in connection with the purchase of bullet proof jackets for personnel of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) said Wednesday.
The case was registered against R.S. Sharma, director level officer in the home ministry, for allegedly accepting a bribe in the purchase of bullet proof jackets. Sharma looks after modernisation and provisioning for paramilitary forces and allocation of weaponry for all police forces.
“Sharma had developed a nexus with certain private firms supplying security equipment such as armoured panels, bullet proof jackets, helmets and shields and was granting undue favours to such firms,” CBI spokesman Harsh Bhal told reporters here.
The home ministry floated a tender for procurement of 59,000 bullet proof jackets for in July 2009. The tender ran into controversies after allegations of manipulation and discriminatory trial of samples of private firms participating in the tender process.
This led to re-evaluation of the tender and re-trial of sample bullet proof jackets.
“Sharma leaked confidential information about the tender and trial process to a competing firm. He established unauthorised contact with the private firm and had been demanding and accepting illegal gratification in lieu of services and favours shown,” he added.
Bhal said searches were being conducted at residential and official premises of Sharma as well as the owner of the private firm.
- CBI arrests senior official in bulletproof jacket scam - Apr 29, 2010
- Home ministry official sent to CBI custody in graft case (Lead) - Apr 29, 2010
- Graft case: Home ministry official's CBI custody extended - May 01, 2010
- New bullet-proof jackets for paramilitary forces by June - Mar 21, 2010
- Government orders fresh trial of bullet proof jackets - Jan 11, 2010
- CBI files case against former oil regulator (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- Govt. plans to procure bulletproof jackets for para-military forces - Dec 08, 2009
- CBI arrests commerce ministry official for graft (Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- Centre asks bidders to submit fresh samples of bulletproof jackets - Jan 11, 2010
- Gas exploration irregularities: CBI case against eight (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- Commerce ministry official arrested for graft - Aug 24, 2010
- Sukh Ram's surrender put off by court till Friday (Third Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- CBI files case against eight in gas exploration irregularities (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- Court refuses relief to Uttar Pradesh scam accused - Apr 04, 2012
- CBI raids Lalli's premises, files graft case in CWG (Roundup) - Mar 04, 2011
Tags: bribe, bullet proof jacket, bullet proof jackets, cbi, central bureau of investigation, confidential information, controversies, director level, favours, gratification, home ministry, ministry official, paramilitary forces, police force, police forces, private firm, private firms, reserve police, security equipment, weaponry