Home minister condemns Assam blastsOctober 30th, 2008 - 3:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 30 (IANS)Home Minister Shivraj Patil Thursday condemned the serial blasts in Assam that have killed at least 30 people and injured over 100, even as he went into an urgent meeting with National Security Adviser M.K. Narayanan to discuss measures to control the situation.Separately, Home Secretary Madhukar Gupta spoke to Assam Chief Secretary P.C. Sharma, saying the situation was being closely monitored.
The blasts are likely to top the agenda at a pre-scheduled meeting of the cabinet that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is to chair at 6 p.m. Thursday evening. Manmohan Singh represents Assam in the Rajya Sabha.
At least 30 people were killed and more than 100 injured in a string of explosions in Assam Thursday, including four in the heart of the state’s main city of Guwahati, police and eyewitnesses said.
A police spokesman said there were 12 blasts in a span of about an hour beginning 11.20 a.m. - five in Guwahati, three in Barpeta district, three in Kokrajhar district and one in Bongaigaon district, all in western Assam.
- Shivraj Patil condemns Assam blasts - Oct 30, 2008
- Centre seeks report on Assam serial blasts - Oct 30, 2008
- NSG team rushed to Assam, home minister condemns blasts (Lead) - Oct 30, 2008
- Choreographed bombings across Assam kill at least 30 (Third Lead) - Oct 30, 2008
- PM asks minister to visit Assam train blast site - Jul 11, 2011
- PM, Sonia arrive in Guwahati, leave for Kokrajhar - Jul 28, 2012
- 61 killed as terror strikes with deadly accuracy in Assam (Roundup) - Oct 30, 2008
- NDFB chief Daimary sent to 12 days police custody - May 02, 2010
- Don't spare Assam's Kasab, say victims of 2008 blasts - Oct 29, 2010
- Tension in Assam, PM may visit Saturday, toll 41 (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- 30 killed as 12 blasts rock Assam (Second Lead) - Oct 30, 2008
- Assam toll rises to 12, army called in (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Third Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Assam violence: Tension continues, army stages flag march - Jul 25, 2012
- Assam toll rises to 14, army called in (Third Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,