Hollande wrests French presidency from SarkozyMay 7th, 2012 - 1:10 am ICT by IANS
Paris, May 6 (IANS) Socialist Party challenger François Hollande Sunday wrested power from incumbent Nicolas Sarkozy to become the first Socialist president of France since 1988.
Hollande has beaten Sarkozy in a tight run-off election to win the presidency with 51.9 percent of the vote to Sarkozy’s 48.1 percent, France 24 TV reported.
In the first round of the presidential polls April 22, Sarkozy had gained 27.18 percent of the vote against Hollande’s 28.63 percent.
Hollande was leading in the opinion polls, with 52.5-53.5 percent saying they would vote for him.
- Hollande beats Sarkozy in French presidential polls (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- France votes in crucial presidential run-off - May 06, 2012
- France votes to choose Sarkozy or Hollande (Lead) - May 06, 2012
- Sarkozy concedes defeat, wishes Hollande good luck - May 07, 2012
- Hollande vows to bring change - May 07, 2012
- French presidential polls begin in overseas regions - May 06, 2012
- Sarkozy to quit politics if he loses election - Mar 09, 2012
- Sarkozy challenges Hollande to public debates - Apr 23, 2012
- Hollande wins first round of France poll (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- Hollande, the next French president (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Millions of French vote to decide Sarkozy's fate (Third Lead) - Apr 22, 2012
- Hollande gives Sarkozy a run for his money (Second Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- France votes as Sarkozy's fate hangs in balance (Second Lead) - Apr 22, 2012
- Francois Hollande: The next president of France - May 07, 2012
- Hollande 'wins first round' of France poll - Apr 23, 2012
Tags: challenger, france 24 tv, francois hollande, french presidency, incumbent, nicolas sarkozy, opinion polls, paris, president of france, presidential polls, socialist party, socialist president, vote