Holiest Buddhist shrine gets governing panel, finallyMay 17th, 2008 - 7:17 pm ICT by admin
Patna, May 17 (IANS) The Mahabodhi temple in Bihar’s Bodh Gaya, Buddhism’s holiest shrine, has got a governing panel after a gap of eight months. The Bihar government has issued a notification to form the new panel of the Bodh Gaya Temple Management Committee (BGTMC) late Friday, officials said here Saturday.
The government has nominated eight members - four Buddhists and Hindus each - to the new panel. The Gaya district magistrate will function as its ex-officio chairman.
The BGTMC’s three-year term ended Sep 10 last year, but the Bihar government delayed forming a new panel. Buddhist monks were upset with the government for “deliberately” delaying the notification. They are demanding that control of the shrine be with Buddhists.
The monks say the delay has hampered the day-to-day functioning of the 1,500-year-old temple, located at the spot where the Buddha attained enlightenment 2,550 years ago.
The Mahabodhi Temple, declared a World Heritage Site in 2002 by Unesco, is visited annually by thousands of tourists, especially from Buddhist countries.
- Monks upset over Dalai Lama not raising temple issue - May 28, 2010
- Buddhist monks want control of Bodh Gaya temple - Nov 27, 2009
- Paswan wants Buddhist control over Bodh Gaya's Mahabodhi temple - Dec 29, 2009
- Buddhist monks to protest over control of Bodh Gaya temple - Feb 22, 2010
- Online donation to Bodh Gaya temple begins - Mar 04, 2010
- Buddha Purnima celebrated at Bodh Gaya - May 27, 2010
- Gere in Bodh Gaya to attend Dalai Lama's discourse - Jan 02, 2012
- Buddhist monks end hunger strike for control over temple - Jan 14, 2010
- Buddhist monks on hunger strike for control over Bodh Gaya temple - Jan 02, 2010
- Buddhists to throng Bodh Gaya Thursday for special rites - Dec 27, 2010
- Buddhist monks to get ID cards in Bodh Gaya - Sep 02, 2011
- Rename Gaya airport after Buddha: Nitish - Jun 11, 2011
- Shutdown in Bodh Gaya against anti-encroachment drive - Aug 08, 2011
- Buddhist body loses cool after power cut in Bodh Gaya - Mar 10, 2011
- Dalit leader demands Buddhist control over Bodh Gaya temple - May 21, 2008
Tags: bgtmc, bihar government, bodh gaya, buddhism, buddhist countries, buddhist monks, buddhist shrine, buddhists, district magistrate, eight months, enlightenment, gap, gaya district, hindus, mahabodhi temple, management committee, officio chairman, old temple, unesco, world heritage site