Holi haul! 2,000 held with illicit liquor, drugsMarch 2nd, 2010 - 10:04 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, March 2 (IANS) Uttar Pradesh Police had a busy day ahead of Holi as they made a huge haul of illicit liquor, hashish, marijuana and other intoxicants and arrested as many as 2,055 people in a state-wide haul, officials said Tuesday.
Uttar Pradesh Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Brij Lal told reporters here Tuesday evening: “we have seized as much as 27,253 litres of illicit liquor from some 250 hooch brewing units during the state-wide 24-hour campaign launched by us between February 27 and 28.”
This was besides 1,100 kg of marijuana (ganja), and 255 kg of hashis (charas) as well as 255 tablets of tranquiliser tablets that were seized, he added.
Simultaneous raids carried out across the state also yielded “illegally stored” 3,344 litres of Indian made foreign liquor (IMFL) and 106 litres of beer. In addition, 15 country-made pistols along with substantial ammunition were also recovered during the course of the raids.
This followed multiple deaths due to consumption of hooch in Ghaziabad, and Varanasi last month.
“Taking very serious note of the deaths in Varanasi and Ghaziabad, we decided to go all out to crush this illicit liquor sale in the state; now such a campaign will be undertaken at frequent intervals so that we can bring an end to this clandestine business,” Lal added.
He said: “District police chief and DIGs have also been asked to maintain a strict vigil and not spare anyone indulging in illegal manufacture or sale of intoxicants.”
- No one cures Punjab's drug problem (Punjab Newsletter) - Feb 10, 2012
- Punjab drug scene hits a new 'high' - Nov 22, 2010
- Drugs worth Rs.400 mn seized in Pakistan - Nov 23, 2010
- 81,000 litres of illicit liquor destroyed in Nepal - Jun 20, 2012
- Cop arrested, suspended for joining rave party - Jun 27, 2011
- Major hooch tragedies in India - Dec 15, 2011
- Drive to check moonshine sale in Uttar Pradesh - Feb 27, 2010
- A tale of drinks and drugs as Punjab votes - Jan 29, 2012
- Rs 33.66 crore, 697,000 liquor bottles seized - Jan 29, 2012
- Four held, drugs worth Rs.1.39 crore seized - Oct 08, 2011
- Drugs worth crores seized in Mumbai (Lead) - Mar 06, 2010
- Hooch kills 12 in Punjab, two held (Third Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
- Goa cops, excise staff step in to stop petrol smuggling - Jun 01, 2012
- Mamata to lead rally against illegal liquor Dec 30 - Dec 23, 2011
- Illegal liquor joints in West Midnapur raided ahead of West Bengal polls - Mar 05, 2011
Tags: busy day, charas, digs, district police, frequent intervals, ghaziabad, hashish marijuana, holi, hooch, illegal manufacture, illicit liquor, imfl, intoxicants, lal, law and order, marijuana ganja, police chief, police law, strict vigil, tuesday evening