Hold political audit of Jammu and Kashmir: JaitlySeptember 3rd, 2008 - 12:17 am ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Sep 2 (IANS) “Taking into account the social and the political scenario in Kashmir, we demand a political audit of the country with a special reference to Jammu and Kashmir,” said Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) general secretary Arun Jaitley Tuesday here. He blamed India’s first prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru for the unrest and instability prevailing in the Kashmir Valley.
“The incomplete merger of Kashmir with India was a `historical blunder’ by Nehru and till today we are paying its price,” said Jaitley at a public function organised here by the state BJP unit.
Violence, terrorism and insecurity in the Kashmir Valley are an offshoot of that blunder only, he added.
The dispute over land for the Amarnath pilgrims led to polarisation in Jammu and Kashmir, with Hindu majority Jammu for the move and Muslim dominated Kashmir against it. The controversy snowballed into major protests with curfews and shutdowns paralysing life in both parts for almost three months.
On Sunday, the agreement to set aside 40 hectares of land for the Amarnath pilgrims during the duration of the pilgrimage led to Jammu quietening down, though protests were still heard in Kashmir.
- BJP raps government on Amarnath Yatra decision - May 16, 2012
- Jammu, Kashmir lock horns over Amarnath infrastructure - Aug 23, 2012
- BJP takes up Amarnath pilgrims' deaths with Chidambaram - Jul 24, 2012
- Cut Amarnath pilgrimage to 15 days, says Geelani (Lead) - Jun 18, 2010
- No cut in duration of Amarnath pilgrimage - Mar 19, 2010
- Amarnath pilgrimage to begin June 29 - Feb 18, 2011
- Amarnath yatra too short, say religious groups - Feb 29, 2012
- Omar hopes for safe, peaceful Amarnath pilgrimage - Jun 20, 2011
- All set for Amarnath yatra, pilgrims apprehensive - Jun 26, 2010
- Amarnath samiti calls Jammu bandh Saturday - Jul 02, 2010
- Kashmir moves towards normalcy after curfew lifted - Sep 02, 2008
- Over dozen Amarnath pilgrims injured in cane charge - Jul 02, 2011
- VHP warns Amarnath shrine board - Mar 05, 2012
- Now, a diet chart for Amarnath pilgrims - Jan 07, 2012
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012