Hockey Nationals: Karnataka have to raise their game against PunjabJune 17th, 2011 - 6:34 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, June 17 (IANS) Karnataka will have to raise their game when they face Punjab in the semi-final of the senior National Hockey Championships here Saturday.
Star-studded Karnataka relied on drag flicker V.R.Raghunath’s brilliance to pip Air India 2-1 in their quarter-final.
Punjab, who crushed Bihar 9-0, will have to find a way to stop Raghunath, who has converted nine penalty corners and is the joint top scorer with Haryana’s Sandeep Singh with 10 goals each.
In the other semi-final, Jharkhand will face a strong Haryana side, which boasts of India internationals Sandeep and defender Sardar Singh.
Sandeep played a crucial role in winning the quarter-final via a golden goal as Haryana overcame a late fight from a young Orissa side to win 3-2.
Haryana had to blame themselves for stretching the match into the extra time as they could convert only two of the nine penalty corners they got. Sandeep, who has converted eight short-corners, was rusty Thursday with his first few drag flicks while some other went begging due to casual push.
“We cannot afford to concede too many penalty corners. They have some good players and we have to be at the top of our game,” Jharkhand coach Manohar Topno told IANS.
“Our boys need to produce the game that we played to beat the Services in the league stage,” said the Olympian.
Karnataka coach B.J.Kariappa also knows that they have to put up a far better show than what they did against Air India.
“We did mistakes in basics like receiving the ball, the players were slipping on the turf. We also were not able to finish the moves. We have to tighten our game in all aspects.”
The forwards Prabhjot Singh and Deepak Thakur were unimpressive and will have to pull up their socks.
Goalkeeper Bharat Chetri, however, played a major role in the victory as he made some good saves. “Chetri kept us in the game. We were defensive in the first half and later we changed the strategy in the second half,” said Ragunath.
- Hockey: Karnataka play Punjab, Jharkhand face Harayana in semis (Roundup) - Jun 17, 2011
- Hockey: Karnataka win through Raghunath's golden goal (Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Top teams can have tough time in national hockey quarters - Jun 15, 2011
- Hockey: Karnataka beat Punjab 2-1, to face Haryana in final (Roundup) - Jun 19, 2011
- Haryana beat Karnataka 2-1 to lift national hockey title (Lead) - Jun 20, 2011
- Karnataka beat Punjab 2-1, move into the final - Jun 18, 2011
- Raghunath confident of getting back into India team - Jun 18, 2011
- Maharashtra knocked out, Punjab thrash Bihar in junior hockey nationals - Dec 19, 2011
- Olympics hockey: India suffer another reverse, lose 1-3 to Kiwis - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympic hockey: Jittery India suffer third defeat - Aug 03, 2012
- Champions Challenge hockey: India concede last-minute goal to lose (Lead) - Dec 05, 2011
- Railways beat UP to reach semis of senior national women's hockey - Jan 27, 2011
- India's men's and women's hockey teams chasing Olympic dream - Feb 17, 2012
- Asian Games hockey: India beat Pakistan, reach semi-finals (Lead) - Nov 20, 2010
- WSH: Comets move closer to semi-final spot - Mar 26, 2012
Tags: air india, bhopal, deepak thakur, flicker, golden goal, haryana, hockey championships, internationals, jharkhand, league stage, manohar, national hockey, penalty corners, raghunath, sandeep singh, saturday star, star studded, top of our game, top scorer, win 3