Hockey India reviews Azlan Shah performanceMay 31st, 2011 - 9:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 31 (IANS) Hockey India (HI) Tuesday reviewed the team’s poor performance in the Azlan Shah Cup and discussed the remedial action required ahead of important tournaments like the Champions Trophy and the Olympic qualifiers at home.
HI secretary general Narinder Batra, the coaching and development committee led by Pargat Singh, coach Harendra Singh and his support staff, selectors, former players and HI officials were present at the meeting.
Selector Balbir Singh, who was also the manager for the Azlan Shah tournament where India finished sixth, has pointed out poor fitness as one of the major reasons behind the team’s showing.
“The fitness level of our players were not at par with other teams. It made a major difference,” Balbir said.
Asked why the selection committee did not gauge the fitness of the players in the trials, Balbir Singh said: “It is difficult to make out from trials. Our team played well in the Commonwealth Games and the Asian Games. It is while seeing them play in Azlan Shah, I could make out that they can’t last the entire match. The four-month gap after the Asian Games has not been good for the players. I can’t say how their fitness has dropped and that is something for the physical trainer to answer.”
Pargat Singh said that all the stakeholders of Indian hockey need to put on a combined effort.
“The fact that the team is not performing well means that something is lacking. Everyone has to work together and perform their roles whether it is the government, HI, coaches, or the players. Proper implementation of the development programmes are required to improve the sport,” he added.
–Indo-Asian News service
- Hockey India to appoint foreign expert - Jun 01, 2011
- Azlan Shah debacle to be thoroughly reviewed: HI - May 16, 2011
- Qualifying for Olympics a big challenge: Pargat - Jun 01, 2011
- HI announces squad for Sultan Azlan Shah - Apr 19, 2011
- Sports ministry not keen on foreign hockey coach - Apr 15, 2011
- Hockey India short-lists five foreigners for coach's job - Jun 16, 2011
- Harendra hits out at Pargat, accuses him of match-fixing - Aug 18, 2011
- Chettri to lead India in Sultan Azlan Shah Cup - Apr 12, 2012
- HI bans Sandeep, Sardara for two years - Aug 27, 2011
- HI calls meeting of selectors, coaches to sort out players' issue - Aug 24, 2011
- Hockey national could go the Ranji Trophy way - Jun 15, 2011
- India need to cover all bases against Pakistan - May 10, 2011
- HI shortlists coaches and support staff for national teams - Jan 05, 2011
- Tough challenge for India in men's hockey - Sep 09, 2010
- HI fixes another date to complete interviews for coaches' post - Jan 23, 2011
Tags: asian games, asian news, azlan shah cup, balbir singh, champions trophy, combined effort, commonwealth games, development committee, entire match, indian hockey, narinder, olympic qualifiers, poor fitness, poor performance, proper implementation, remedial action, secretary general, selection committee, selectors, stakeholders