Hizbul Mujahideen operational chief arrested in Kashmir (Lead)February 9th, 2009 - 9:45 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Feb 9 (IANS) The Jammu and Kashmir police Monday said they have arrested the operational chief commander of the Hizbul Mujahideen, dealing a severe blow to the Pakistan-based terror outfit.
Muzaffar Dar, alias Ghaznavi alias Ali, was arrested during a search operation Monday afternoon by the police from his hideout in Saderbal area, close to the University of Kashmir, on the outskirts of Srinagar, B. Srinivas, inspector general of police (Kashmir zone), told reporters in the evening.
Dar, a local militant but trained in Pakistan-administered Kashmir, has been an active terrorist in Jammu and Kashmir since early 1990 when the armed insurgency erupted in the state, Srinivas said.
“He was active in militancy since 1990. He had received weapons and subversive activities training in Pakistan,” Srinivas said.
A close associate of Hizbul Mujahideen supreme commander Syed Salahuddin, Dar had masterminded several terrorist operations and was actively involved in financing the Hizbul Mujahideen outfit, the police officer said.
He had organised a massive landmine blast on the Srinagar-Baramulla highway last year that killed around a dozen Indian Army soldiers, Srinivas said.
“He was in constant touch with the group’s supreme commander Syed Sallahuddin presently operating from Muzaffarabad in the Pakistan occupied Kashmir. Dar’s wireless code was 19,” he said.
Dar, 38, belonged to Chandiloora village in Magam near Pattan in the north Kashmir Baramulla district.
“His arrest is a major blow to the Hizbul Mujahideen whose top commanders have been arrested or eliminated by the security forces during the last one year,” the police officer said.
- Hizbul Mujahideen operational commander arrested in Kashmir - Feb 09, 2009
- From Hizbul spokesman to Kashmir's anti-drug campaigner - Apr 08, 2012
- Hizbul commander killed in Kashmir - Jul 10, 2012
- BSNL employee arrested for giving guerrillas SIM cards - Dec 22, 2011
- Hizbul commander behind south Kashmir car blast arrested - Apr 21, 2012
- Hizb founder arrested in Kashmir - Jan 14, 2009
- Hizbul commander arrested after giving police the slip - Aug 25, 2009
- National Conference activist shot dead, killers identified (Lead) - Mar 31, 2011
- Slain Hizbul commander behind 30 civilians' killings: Army - Oct 14, 2011
- LeT, United Jehad Council condemn Sopore murders - Feb 03, 2011
- Police disallow separatist seminar in Srinagar - Apr 21, 2010
- Top guerrilla commander arrested in Kashmir (Lead) - Jan 14, 2009
- Hizbul commander killed in gunfight - Jul 26, 2011
- Guerrilla arrested with Pakistani wife in Valley - Dec 13, 2011
- Militant involved in Kandahar hijacking arrested in J&K; (Second Lead) - Sep 13, 2012