Hizbul commander behind south Kashmir car blast arrestedApril 21st, 2012 - 8:24 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, April 21 (IANS) A divisional commander of separatist guerrilla group, Hizbul Mujahideen (HM), who had masterminded the car bomb explosion in south Kashmir last month has been arrested, police said Saturday.
“Around 8 p.m. yesterday (Friday), a naka (search) party intercepted a car on the main road at Ladermad in Pulwama district.
While the driver of the car alighted from the vehicle, another person in the car tried to escape. The naka party made a courageous effort and nabbed him on the road. He was identified as Latif Ahmed Dar alias Massod Saini, a divisional commander of HM,” Inspector General of Police, Kashmir, S.M. Sahai told a media conference in Pulwama district.
Sahai said the guerrilla was active since January 2008 and is involved in many cases of militancy especially in the recent improvised explosive device (IED) blast which took place at Bijbehara in south Kashmir’s Anantnag district March 22.
“The arrested militant commander is also involved in the killing of one released militant namely Showkat Ahmed Rather as well as delivering threats to elected panches/sarpanches (village council members/headmen) of the area,” he said.
“During questioning, Saini confessed about plans of IED blasts also. On his instance, more than 100 kg of RDX and detonators were recovered at village Gulzarpora Awantipora (Pulwama),” Sahai said, terming the arrest of the militant a major breakthrough in the anti-militancy operations of the local police.
- National Conference activist shot dead, killers identified (Lead) - Mar 31, 2011
- Slain Hizbul commander behind 30 civilians' killings: Army - Oct 14, 2011
- Unidentified gunmen kill youth in Kashmir - Jun 06, 2012
- Guerrilla module busted in Srinagar - Aug 22, 2012
- Militants blow up rail track in Kashmir (Lead) - Apr 02, 2010
- Four cops injured in Kashmir blast - Jan 19, 2010
- Terrorist killed in Awantipora encounter - Mar 02, 2011
- Three arrested for Maulana Showkat killing (Lead) - Apr 16, 2011
- Delhi court blast accused killed in Kishtwar (Second Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Hizbul Mujahideen militant arrested in Jammu region - May 16, 2012
- 1 killed, 15 injured in south Kashmir blast (Lead) - Mar 22, 2012
- LeT car-bomber module busted in Srinagar - Jun 14, 2012
- Terrorists kill civilian in south Kashmir village - Jan 24, 2012
- Delhi court blast accused killed in Kishtwar (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Guerrillas loot weapons from Kashmir security picket - May 25, 2012
Tags: ahmed, alias, anantnag, blasts, car bomb explosion, council members, courageous effort, detonators, divisional commander, explosive device, guerrilla group, hm inspector, inspector general, kashmir, massod, militancy, rdx, sahai, search party, south kashmir