HIV spreading among China’s elderly: 80-year-old infectedAugust 6th, 2011 - 12:47 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 6 (IANS) A nearly 80-year-old man in China has been diagnosed with HIV, with doctors saying he got infected due to “frequent unprotected sex”.
The case is the latest to support experts’ opinion that the HIV virus is spreading fast among elderly Chinese men who have been largely neglected in the country’s anti-AIDS campaigns, Xinhua reported.
The man, whose identity has been concealed for privacy reasons, was admitted to Zhongnan hospital in the central Chinese city of Wuhan with a lingering fever. He was later found to be HIV positive, doctors said Friday.
The man was widowed in his old age, has no record of blood transfusions, but had an “active unprotected sexual life”, they said.
Gao Shicheng, an HIV specialist in Zhongnan hospital, said HIV/AIDS has started to infect middle-aged and elderly Chinese men who have little or no AIDS prevention knowledge.
Gao said this year alone he diagnosed two senior men with HIV. Both contracted the virus through unprotected sex outside marriage.
A recent survey conducted by the Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (China CDC) shows that among the new HIV infections, the percentage of people aged 50 or above with it grew from 7.8 to 14.9 percent. Most of them were male and were found to have contracted the virus through sexual intercourse.
Experts say the spread of HIV/AIDS has picked up among elderly Chinese men in recent years because China’s senior citizens have become healthier, more open-minded about sex, and increasingly bored after retirement.
According to a UNAIDS estimate, the country had about 740,000 people living with HIV by the end of 2009. Among them, 105,000 were estimated to have AIDS.
By the end of August 2010, the cumulative total of reported HIV positives in China was 361,599, with 65,104 recorded deaths.
- China to have 1.2m HIV-positive people by the end of 2015 - Dec 04, 2010
- China to have 1.2 mn HIV-affected people by 2015 - Dec 04, 2010
- More Chinese wives get HIV from husbands - Jun 02, 2012
- A new gel may prevent the HIV/AIDS infection in women - Jul 20, 2010
- Beware! You may be more vulnerable to hepatitis than you think (July 28 is World Hepatitis Day) - Jul 27, 2012
- Sexually transmitted diseases among Aussie youngsters on the rise - May 29, 2010
- Legalizing same-sex marriage may help curb HIV, say experts - Nov 29, 2010
- AIDS ranked as top killer disease in China for third year in a row - Feb 17, 2011
- Cancer drug successfully purges hidden HIV virus - Mar 09, 2012
- HIV poses increasing risk to Chinese women - Sep 08, 2010
- Sex now the main source of AIDS spread in drug-plagued China province - Nov 29, 2010
- Sexually abused street teens have sex at an early age to get partner approval - Nov 14, 2010
- Children of a lesser god... on Kolkata's streets - Dec 28, 2011
- HIV-infected teens 'at high risk for pregnancy, complications' - Feb 02, 2011
- Airtel Nigeria to help fight AIDS (With Image) - Apr 27, 2012
Tags: aids campaigns, aids prevention, blood transfusions, chinese city, chinese men, cumulative total, disease control and prevention, hiv aids, hiv infections, hiv positives, hiv specialist, hiv virus, living with hiv, prevention knowledge, senior citizens, senior men, sexual intercourse, sexual life, unaids, unaids estimate