Historical Srinagar shrine gutted in blazeJune 25th, 2012 - 9:25 am ICT by IANS
Srinagar, June 25 (IANS) Historical Peer Dastgeer Sahib shrine in summer capital Srinagar was gutted in a blaze here Monday morning although the authorities said all the relics of the 11th century saint were safe.
A senior officer of the local fire brigade department told IANS: “Fire broke out inside the Peer Dastgeer Sahib Shrine in Khanyar locality of the city around 6.30 a.m. today. Dozens of fire tenders have been pressed into service.
“The firefighting is still going on at the shrine although the old wooden structure appears to have suffered massive damage. The cause of fire is being ascertained”.
An official of the provincial administration said all the relics of the saint those are lodged inside a fireproof vault were safe.
Scores of locals gathered at the shrine weeping and wailing while they watched the blaze.
Reverence for the 11th century saint in Kashmir cuts across religious barriers. While Muslims call the saint Ghaus-e-Azam, the Hindus revere the saint as Kahnoow.
- Kashmir shrine gutted, Holy relic safe (Second Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Kashmir shrine gutted, probe ordered (Roundup) - Jun 25, 2012
- Shrine blaze triggers tension in Srinagar (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Devotees throng saint's Dargah (With Images) - Mar 05, 2012
- Omar appeals for peace, promises to rebuild gutted shrine - Jun 26, 2012
- Normalcy slowly returning to Srinagar - Jun 27, 2012
- Curbs continue in Srinagar's old city after shrine fire - Jun 29, 2012
- Sacred relics saved from Srinagar shrine fire displayed - Jun 27, 2012
- Kashmir survives another tragedy, this time without blood - Jul 01, 2012
- Srinagar old city restrictions enter third day - Jun 28, 2012
- Protest against mosque desecration in Kashmir - Jul 23, 2012
- Centre to help rebuild Dastageer Sahib shrine in Kashmir - Jun 29, 2012
- Concern over lack of fire safety in two Kishtwar shrines - Jul 02, 2012
- Restrictions imposed in Srinagar following tension - Jun 26, 2012
- 70,000 faithful throng Hazratbal shrine (With Images) - Feb 10, 2012
Tags: 11th century, azam, blaze, fire brigade, fire tenders, firefighting, hindus, kashmir, locality, locals, massive damage, monday morning, muslims, provincial administration, relics, religious barriers, revere, reverence, vault, wooden structure