Hiroshima, Nagasaki bomb victims rememberedAugust 6th, 2012 - 8:01 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 6 (IANS) Over 3,500 college students from all over Mumbai took a pledge here Monday to work for peace and a nuclear-free world to commemorate the 67th anniversary of the devastation of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in atomic bomb attacks.
The students, from 78 Mumbai colleges were joined by prominent peace activists, as they marched one km from the historic Azad Maidan to Hutatma Chowk (Martyrs Square), in south Mumbai, under the auspices of the Bombay Sarvodaya Mandal.
They carried banners and placards describing the horrors of the atomic bombs dropped on the two Japanese cities by the US 67 years ago during World War II.
The bombs killed around 160,000 people, crippled thousands and nearly three lakh more succumbed to the ill-effects of radiation over the years.
Sporting aprons and caps with the slogans ‘Save Mother Earth’, ‘No Bomb-Yes Peace’, ‘We want to grow up - Not to blow up’, the students also took a solemn pledge, administered by Mumbai University’s NSS coordinator Atul Salunkhe, to strive for a peaceful, nuclear free world.
- Commemorating Hiroshima Day with peace march - Aug 05, 2010
- Students commemorate Hiroshima Day, pledge for peace - Aug 06, 2010
- Students take out 'funeral' to mark Hiroshima Day - Aug 07, 2008
- Students paint nuclear holocaust - Jul 29, 2012
- UN chief meets atomic-bomb victims in Nagasaki - Aug 05, 2010
- Lok Sabha remembers Hiroshima, Nagasaki victims - Aug 06, 2010
- Today is the 66th anniversary of the Atomic bombing event in Nagasaki, Japan - Aug 09, 2011
- Japan observes 65th anniversary of Nagasaki bombing - Aug 09, 2010
- Nepal confers Buddha award on Hiroshima, Nagasaki activists - May 16, 2011
- Lok Sabha members pay homage to Hiroshima bomb victims - Aug 06, 2010
- Hiroshima mayor calls for world free of nuclear weapons - Aug 06, 2009
- UK, US, France may attend Hiroshima bombing anniversary for first time - Jul 28, 2010
- Zardari wants India-like peaceful nuke cooperation from Japan - Feb 22, 2011
- Retired soccer player Roberto Baggio wins World Peace Award - Nov 10, 2010
- Funeral of atom bomb in Mumbai on Wednesday - Aug 04, 2008
Tags: atomic bomb, atomic bombs, bomb attacks, bomb victims, effects of radiation, hiroshima and nagasaki, hiroshima nagasaki bomb, ill effects, japanese cities, lakh, maidan, mother earth, mumbai colleges, mumbai university, nuclear free world, peace activists, placards, sarvodaya, south mumbai, world war ii