Hindus pull out wards from school after turban rowMay 17th, 2008 - 12:49 am ICT by admin
Sangrur (Punjab), May 16 (IANS) Many Hindu families in a Punjab town withdrew their children from a Sikh institution after the school authorities forced students to attend school wearing turbans. Nearly 100 Hindu students of Akal Academy in Cheema town were withdrawn by their parents Friday after the school authorities refused to budge from their stand to make it compulsory for all non-Sikh students from class VI onwards to wear turbans while attending school.
Wearing of turbans is compulsory in Sikh religion but the same has never been forced on students from other religions.
A stand-off had been going on between the school authorities and the parents after the new rule was imposed earlier this week. The Hindu Sabha has objected to the move by the school.
School official R.S. Chatwal maintained that Akal Academies elsewhere had no problem with Hindu students complying with the turban rule.
“We will not change our rule for a few vested interests in Cheema town,” he said.
The parents Friday gave a common list of nearly 100 students to the school management who were being withdrawn. “The school management has asked us to submit individual requests for withdrawal,” one parent said.
The dispute was also brought to the notice of the district administration.
Of over 1,200 students in the school, more than 250 are Hindus and of these about 100 are from Cheema town.
- Sikh body wants action against Ajay Devgn - Aug 29, 2012
- Shimla convent school allows students to wear turban - Apr 28, 2012
- Sukhbir Badal urges PM to take up turban ban with Sarkozy - Dec 04, 2010
- Parents fume over turban curbs in Shimla school - Apr 26, 2012
- Akali Dal releases agenda for gurdwara panel poll - Aug 20, 2011
- Congress opposes move to summon PM to Akal Takht - Sep 05, 2011
- Helmets to be made mandatory for women in Delhi - Apr 25, 2012
- Bars cannot discriminate against Sikhs, Muslims in California - Sep 10, 2012
- California law bars discrimination against Sikhs, Muslims (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- India presses France to resolve turban ban issue - Oct 20, 2011
- Raise headgear issue with Obama, Sukhbir Badal urges PM - Nov 08, 2010
- Opposition mounts to Amitabh's plea on anti-Sikh riots - Dec 16, 2011
- Badal conferred highest Sikh title, radicals cry foul - Dec 05, 2011
- Radical Sikh bodies present turban to official - Aug 17, 2009
- High Court notice to Delhi government on contempt plea - Jul 13, 2012