Hindus join Muslims in celebrating Eid in OdishaAugust 20th, 2012 - 2:27 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Aug 20 (IANS) It was a day of peace and brotherhood Monday as Hindus in many parts of Odisha joined in Eid celebrations across the state.
Hindu families visited the houses of their Muslim friends and greeted them on the occasion of Eid-ul-Fitr. Large congregations of Muslims were seen at Cuttack, Bhadrak, Balasore and Sambalpur towns with the devout packing into mosques, Eidgahs and open grounds to offer prayers.
“It was an occasion to pray to Allah for communal peace, universal brotherhood and removal of human suffering,” a Muslim cleric here told IANS.
In several places, Muslim families invited their Hindu neighbours to join the community feast.
Elaborate security arrangements were made at different places, a police official said.
Eid, celebrated on the first day of the Islamic month of Shawwal, marks the end of the period of fasting during the holy month of Ramzan. Eid is an Arabic word meaning festivity, while Fitr means charity.
- Eid celebrated with traditional fervour in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 20, 2012
- Eid celebrated with prayers for peace, feasting (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2012
- Stray incident apart, Eid prayers offered peacefully in Kashmir - Aug 20, 2012
- Delhi celebrates Eid with feasting and fervour - Aug 20, 2012
- Eid celebrated in Meghalaya - Aug 31, 2011
- Prayers, feasts and love - India celebrates Eid with fervour (Roundup) - Sep 21, 2009
- President, PM greet nation on Eid (Lead) - Aug 19, 2012
- President, prime minister greet nation on Eid (Lead) - Aug 30, 2011
- Eid-ul-Fitr celebrated with fervour in Lucknow - Aug 31, 2011
- Special Eid prayers planned ahead of Ayodhya verdict - Sep 09, 2010
- Assam celebrates Eid with fervour - Aug 31, 2011
- Eid celebrated in Kerala - Aug 19, 2012
- Prayers mark Eid in India, but clashes in Kashmir (Roundup) - Nov 07, 2011
- Rains play spoilsport on Eid in Kerala - Sep 10, 2010
- In Hyderabad, faithful throng Mir Alam Eidgah, Mecca Masjid - Nov 17, 2010
Tags: arabic word, balasore, bhubaneswar, celebrating eid, different places, eid, eid celebrations, eid ul fitr, festivity, hindu families, hindus, human suffering, muslim cleric, muslim families, muslim friends, police official, sambalpur, security arrangements, universal brotherhood, word meaning