Hindu prayer in senate of Mormon dominated US stateFebruary 15th, 2008 - 11:34 am ICT by admin
New York, Feb 15(IANS) Utah, a state dominated by Mormons, created a religious milestone when its senate opened with a Hindu prayer with the chanting of Sanskrit mantras for the first time. Rajan Zed, a prominent Hindu chaplain who has earlier read Hindu prayers in the US senate and state senates, read the opening prayer Wednesday from ancient Hindu scriptures before the Utah senate in Salt Lake City. After first delivering the prayer in Sanskrit, he read its English translation.
Utah is the world headquarters of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, better known as Mormonism, founded in 1830. Mormons, known to be orthodox and conservative, account for over 60 percent of the state’s population of about 2.5 million.
Zed sprinkled holy water from the Ganges on the podium before starting the prayer. He recited from the Rig-Veda, besides lines from Upanishads and the Gita. He started and ended the prayer with “Om”, the Hindu mystical syllable.
Zed presented a copy of the Bhagavad Gita to senate president John L. Valentine who thanked him for the historic prayer. Senate majority leader Curtis S. Bramble said that the theme of the prayer was peace and he put forth a resolution to include the prayer in the Senate Journal, which was unanimously passed.
Fewer than a thousand Hindu families currently live in Utah.
- Nevada Assembly in USA opened with Hindu prayer - Apr 26, 2011
- Nevada Senate in USA opens with Gayatri Mantra - Feb 16, 2011
- USA's 5th most populated city opens meet with Hindu prayers - Jul 08, 2010
- Visalia City Council in California has its first Hindu prayer - Aug 04, 2010
- Boise City Council had its first Hindu invocation - Jun 10, 2010
- City Council of Nevada's major city Henderson opens with historical first Hindu prayer - May 19, 2010
- Historic Hindu prayer opened Boulder City Council in Nevada for first time - Jun 27, 2010
- Catholic nuns & Hindu statesman Zed pray together in USA for "peace and love" - Feb 14, 2011
- Both Nevada Senate and Assembly in USA to open with Hindu prayers - Jan 29, 2011
- Nevada Assembly in USA to open with Hindu prayers - Mar 12, 2011
- Global entertainment capital Clark County opened its meet with first Hindu mantras - Jul 09, 2010
- Sanskrit mantras to open Vacaville City Council in California - Jun 29, 2010
- Sanskrit mantras opened 100th anniversary of Scouting event in Nevada - Oct 17, 2010
- Yuba City Council in California had its first Hindu prayer - May 05, 2010
- Sparks City Council in Nevada opened with Hindu shlokas - Jan 25, 2011