Hindu outfits to rally in Pragya’s support in DelhiNovember 18th, 2008 - 8:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 18 (IANS) The Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) Tuesday announced a “huge agitation” here Nov 26 against the “indiscriminate arrests” of Hindu religious activists in the name of terrorism, saying it was meant “to fight against the atrocities being done on the majority community”.“We haven’t laid out all the details of the programme but there is going to be a huge agitation against the government on Nov 26 in Delhi, to be convened by the recently formed Dharm Raksha Manch,” Delhi VHP spokesperson Vinod Bansal told IANS.
The Dharm Raksha Manch was formed during the Nov 16 Panipat conclave organised by the Sangh Parivar “to fight against the atrocities being done on the majority community”.
Bansal said the capital will be divided into “six zones and each zone will be headed by a leader or sant”.
The agitation will include rallies and foot marches and the Manch is expected to take a decision Wednesday where or if all the rallies would assemble at one common point.
Apart from sadhus of various Hindu sects, VHP and Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) leaders attending the Panipat conclave, at least two senior BJP leaders - party president Rajnath Singh and Uttarakhand Chief Minister B.C. Khanduri were also present.
Rajnath Singh openly came out in support of Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, who has been arrested for her alleged role in the Sep 29 Malegaon blast. On Tuesday, the BJP’s prime ministerial candidate L.K. Advani finally broke his silence on the issue and released a statement extending his support to the Sadhvi.
The VHP emphasised that no political person would be holding any position in the Manch. However, the organisation spokesperson added that “any political party who want join us is most welcome”.
An indication towards such an agitation was already given by VHP’s international general secretary Praveen Togadia Monday.
Togadia had declared a countrywide agitation, which could “get aggressive” if need be in support of the Sadhvi.
- Advani wants Sadhvi's role probed, Congress raises ante on Malegaon (Intro Roundup) - Nov 18, 2008
- Christian council condemns Togadia hate speech - Nov 09, 2011
- Jammu observes shutdown against police action - Mar 17, 2012
- Sadhvi Ritambhara an old friend: Ramdev - Jun 04, 2011
- RSS workers at Ramlila ground - Jun 04, 2011
- Khanduri, Singhal hold discussions with Bhagwat - Aug 29, 2009
- Togadia questioned by SIT probing Gujarat riots - May 10, 2010
- VHP to launch agitation against arrests of Hindu activists - Nov 17, 2008
- Reservation for Muslims unacceptable: VHP - Feb 12, 2012
- Saints convention to decide future of Ram temple issue: Togadia - Nov 24, 2009
- Protests in Orissa as Togadia barred from Kandhamal (Lead) - Mar 20, 2010
- VHP meet to restart Ram Mandir movement - May 08, 2010
- BJP should take back Joshi, says Togadia - Jun 09, 2012
- VHP plans '90s like agitation for Ram temple, says Togadia - Jan 07, 2011
- VHP threatens retaliation if Gita is banned - Dec 20, 2011