Hindu groups to go ahead with early Amarnath yatraJune 11th, 2011 - 2:25 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, June 11 (IANS) A showdown between Hindu religious groups and the Jammu and Kashmir government over the annual Amarnath pilgrimage appears imminent. Ignoring Chief Minister Omar Abdullah’s directive, the Hindu groups have resolved to go ahead with their plan to start the pilgrimage on June 15, a fortnight prior to the scheduled date of June 29.
Rejecting all the offers of the state government to hold talks to work out a compromise, the representatives of the Hindu groups told media persons here Friday that they were shocked by the government’s attitude, which they alleged was “anti-Hindu and anti-pilgrimage”.
They were particularly agitated over Chief Minister Abdullah’s reiteration that the government would deal sternly with those attempting to start the Amarnath yatra ahead of schedule.
The schedule was announced by the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board that manages the pilgrimage to the Himalayan cave shrine, devoted to Lord Shiva, at a height of 13,500 feet above sea level.
“The chief minister has hurt the sentiments of Hindus by declaring that he would take all measures to stall the pilgrimage before June 29,” said Surinder Jain, spokesman of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad.
“This is an assault on our religious and fundamental rights,” he said.
The Bharatiya Janata Party and Bama Amarnath Yatra Nyas favour the early start of the pilgrimage, June 15.
On the other hand, it is reliably learnt that the state government has passed on strict instructions to the police that no pilgrim be allowed to move towards Pahalgam or Baltal in Kashmir to undertake the pilgrimage.
The administration is trying to dissuade devotees from undertaking the pilgrimage before June 29 as it is claiming that the mountainous treks leading to the shrine are covered with snow. They claim there is a risk involved if people start the trek before the snow is fully cleared from the slippery tracks.
- Hindu groups to view route to Amarnath pilgrimage - Jun 12, 2011
- Hindu groups agree to begin Amarnath yatra June 29 (Lead) - Jun 13, 2011
- 'Amarnath yatra duration as per religious tradition' - Apr 15, 2012
- Government intervens to resolve Amarnath pilgrimage row - Jun 13, 2011
- Preparations for Amarnath pilgrimage begin - May 01, 2011
- Government, Hindu groups clash over Amarnath yatra - Jun 09, 2011
- First Amarnath prayers offered, not at shrine (Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- Amarnath yatra too short, say religious groups - Feb 29, 2012
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
- Amarnath pilgrimage: First prayers offered, but not at shrine - Jun 15, 2011
- 100 post offices to register for Amarnath yatra: SASB - Apr 30, 2012
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- More than 150,000 register for Amarnath pilgrimage - May 22, 2011
- Amarnath pilgrimage registration to commence Tuesday - May 09, 2011
- Omar hopes for safe, peaceful Amarnath pilgrimage - Jun 20, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,