Hindu groups protest Haj House construction in GhaziabadJune 29th, 2008 - 8:56 pm ICT by IANS
Ghaziabad, June 29 (IANS) At least 11 activists of the Shiv Sena and Hindu Mahasabha were arrested here Sunday as they tried to disrupt work at the under construction Haj House, which is proposed to be a halting place for Haj pilgrims from Uttar Pradesh. The foundation stone of the Haj House, to be built on the banks of Hindon River here, was laid by then chief minister Mulayam Singh Yadav March 30, 2005.
Hindu groups led by the Bharatiya Janta Party, Vishwa Hindu Parishad, Shiv Sena and Hindu Maha Sabha oppose the choice of the site saying that gas pipe lines of public sector companies pass below it.
“Haj House would be a public place accessible to all types of people and since gas pipe lines to the filling stations are passing through the same place, a small spark could explode the whole thing,” said Mahesh Ahuja, organizing secretary of Shiv Sena.
The activists also alleged that the work was going on despite a Allahabad High Court’s stay order.
“When the court has stopped the construction activities then how is the work still being allowed on the site,” asked Raj Kumar Tyagi, leader of Hindu Maha Sabha.
But the police officials said the stay order has been vacated by the high court.
Ghaziabad Superintendent Of Police Vijay Bhushan said: “There is no stay on the construction activities, we will not allow any one to disrupt work at the site.”
- Dismiss legislator's plea on mosque, court urged - Aug 16, 2012
- Bridge on Hindon river a disaster, say activists - Jun 01, 2011
- Remove debris from Hindon river bed: Tribunal - Jul 29, 2012
- Ban construction at excavated site, ASI tells court - Jul 25, 2012
- Mosque case: Petitioner seeks action against lawmaker - Jul 23, 2012
- Tension at excavated site: Dikshit blames civic agency - Jul 24, 2012
- Shiv Sena protests lifting of ban on James Laine book on Shivaji - Jul 12, 2010
- Ayodhya case: Hindu Mahasabha files caveat in Supreme Court - Oct 11, 2010
- Mosque case: Petitioner seeks action against lawmaker (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Assembly adjourned over free homes for mill workers - Jul 28, 2011
- Valid passports must for Indian Haj pilgrimage from 2012 - May 22, 2012
- Ghaziabad civic agency accused of illegal land sale - Jan 05, 2012
- Plans unveiled for hassle-free travel to Ghaziabad - Mar 30, 2012
- Rashtrawadi Shiv Sena demands construction of Ram Mandir in Ayodhya - Oct 25, 2010
- Ban construction at excavated site, ASI tells court (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012